TGV or Plane ?

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV or Plane ?

Help please. I am befuddled. Which makes better sense 1) Fly from Atlanta into CDG then Marseille. Rent car, drive to Luberon. Return car to Avignon or ? and take TGV to Paris OR 2) Take flight into Paris and take TGV to Provence (going to stay in Bonnieux) and return via TGV. Thank you SOO much. This travel planning if fun, but a pain, for the unlearned ! I read this site daily for clues ...
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM

From CDG you can get a TGV to Avignon -- the trip takes 3 hours and 10 minutes. From there, rent a car and drop it off when you return to Avignon to take the TGV north.

Unless you want specifically to travel via Marseilles, there is no advantage that I can see in flying -- in terms of cost, time, stress.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM

You don't say if you plan to spend any time in Paris.

If you just want to get to the Luberon and flying from ATL, then I would book the flight straight to Marseille, pick up your rental car and be off to the Luberon.

I fly via ATL all the time and have done this very way. Marseille is a nice, small airport. Easy car pickup and return.Much simpler than picking up luggage at CDG, lugging it to train and all that. Good connections to Marseille. Do it the easy way!!

Just make sure that you check your bags to Marseille
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM

..factor in cost too- you have either of the 2 suggestions or an open jaw fly into Paris and leave from Marsaille or vice versa. When you factor cost, assume you will likely be able to buy a prem if you plan early enough and if you dont travel on a holiday or prime time.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I've done both, and it really just depended on the timing of each, and which seemed to work better at the time.

Making a connecting flight to Marseille from CDG does save time, as the flight isn't that long. I always fly Air France to France, though, so that connecting flight doesn't cost much and then AF is obligated to get me to my destination if for some reason I miss the connecting flight I am ticketed for, and they have lots of flights down there.

It was just easier, also, to just go to another terminal at CDG and wait for the next flight (as they transfer your baggage for you), than to collect your baggage, go to the TGV station, wait for train, get baggage on and off train, etc.

It is indeed cheaper to fly to Marseille than take the TGV, at least if you fly Air France it is.

I was going to Aix-en-Provence, though, so Marseille was not very far from my final destination. If I intended to go to Avignon, I might have planned differently. Bonnieux is about the same distance from Marseille and Avignon, I think -- probably a bit closer to Marseille, so that still makes sense to me to fly into Marseille.

I think a lot of this is just based on decisions you have to make for yourself on which appeals to you, personal opinions of train versus flight and making those transfers, and the cost to you.

The return is probably about the same decisions, but if you have never been to the TGV place at Avignon and where to return your car, you have those issues to deal with (making sure you know the route, probably building in extra time for that, etc.) I know when I returned a car to TGV Avignon, it wasn't that obvious at all how to get there on my Michelin map, as it wasn't marked well, and I even did a dry run one day to make sure I could find the station, which took out time from that day for other things, of course.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies. Part of my concern is the time involved and how long it takes to get to final destination. I will check Air France, Christine.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Flying from ATL, as I do, and Delta/Air France codeshare makes it very easy to just connect at CDG for Marseille. That is the easy way to do it..and the way that I do it, if heading straight to Provence.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you so very much for information. Can I make a "catch " a flight from CDG that arrives at 0620 from Atlanta and get on 2nd flight to Marsielle flight at 0715 ? They don't give you the gates or terminals. I would have to get through customs would I not ? I plan to have just carry on lugguage. Any thoughts. I love the times. We are going to spend a week in Paris after Provence.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM

If I were you I would schedule your connecting flight to Marseille for a later time. I know how long it takes when you land out in the middle of no where and bus into the terminal!! Although, when I was there in Feb. they told me that Delta/AF flights would be having a terminal to pull up to this summer..don't know that I would count on that for sure..I am hoping that it is so when I am there in Oct.
I would check to see if you caould get a little later connection..safer.

It really annoys me when they try to schedule flights so close. I don't let them do it. I check all the flight possibilities and I tell them the flights that I want when making the reservations. I shuttle flight from Asheville to ATL for my connections and I always allow one extra flight from Asheville just in case of plane/whatgever problems so I am at my Intl. connections without a problem. It has proven helpful on several occasions!
Enjoy...............
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I just checked for you..there is a 10:30 flight....
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM

I also would schedule a later flight to Marseille than that. That's not even one hour. If it is all Air France, even if you missed the connection, they'd have to put you on a later flight, but you never know if that flight would possibly be full. I don't recall going through any customs when I did that, because you aren't leaving the airport, and are in-transit from arrival to another departure point. To be honest, I don't think I've ever really gone through "customs" in Paris, it's a real non-event, even when that's your final point. I suspect you mean a passport check, not customs. They have a few guys checking them along the route they direct transferring passengers through, but that didn't take much time. The time-consuming thing was waiting for the bus and taking it -- if you do have to use the shuttle bus between two terminal areas.
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Hi ML,
Although a long flight (for me) Caught flight DFW/Orly. Immediately changed planes,caught flight from Paris to Nice. Picked up rental car at Nice Airport, stayed overnight at Cap d'Antibes, left next morning for drive to Provence (Bonnieux for 1 week stay.)
Enjoy your stay in Bonnieux. I sure did!
Francie