termine station

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 05:37 PM
philly

termine station

my first trip to rome and our hotel is supposedly near termine station can anyone offer any insight to what the immediate area is like thanks

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:45 PM
nfw

It is not a very good neighborhood,
I would try another one and I also
think in general areas next to
train and bus stations are filled
with transients loitering. IMO

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Capo

Depends on what area. We walked around the areas to the north and west of Termini and didn't find it that bad at all. However, although we didn't walk there, my understanding is that the areas to the south and east are not nearly as nice.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Howard

nfw's blanket description of the entire termini area is not accurate. As Capo said, there are sections in the termini area that are fine. We stayed in the area and had no problems, encountered no loitering transients and felt perfectly safe.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Joanna

I agree with Howard. I stayed north of Termini and encountered no problems whatsoever, even when walking around solo loaded down with baggage from the station to the hotel, and vice versa.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Ed

There are areas around the station that are not so good, but for the most part, particularly to the north and west, the area's okay.

That's from a safety/seedy point of view. From a convenience point of view the area fails my tests of being in a >good< area, being more or less near some of the sights as well as being in a characteristically appealing area, and being near some recommendable restaurants. The station area fails on those counts.

If you want your visit to be "okay", staying in the terminal area will likely help satisfy that desire. If you'd like your visit to be wonderfully memorable, pick another area.

If you're looking particularly at budget lodgings you should look at hotels in the Campo de' Fiori area. Otherwise I'd recommend the Navona/Pantheon area or the via Veneto.

twenj

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Howard

Ed, we've disagreed on this point before.
I'll admit at the outset that the termini area is not the prime area to stay in when you visit Rome. But to state you will only have an "okay" Roman experience if stay near the termini and will only have "wonderfully memorable" experience if you stay elsewhere is a bit simplistic and perhaps even ludicrous.
We stayed at the Rex Hotel on Via Toreno near the termini and I've got to tell you, we indeed had a wonderfully memorable Roman experience!
PS: We walked to most of the sites. For the few that were too far to walk to, both the metro and buses were convenient to the hotel, as were many restaurants and other services. (It was great to be able to run out for a couple sandwiches to go when we were too tired to go out for dinner!)

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Ed

Howard:

Ludicrous? I think not.

Much of the area near the Termini was prime ... years ago, when the Termini was constructed.

It's an area that time has passed by. Several times. It's third rate. Of all the choices of areas to stay that are more or less in or near the city's center, the area surrounding Termini is generally the poorest of choices. Check the hotel prices. They're a good indication that folks have to be induced to stay there. You'll find no one who knows the city well staying in that area as a first choice unless they have business affairs nearby.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:23 AM
kris

We just returned from staying in Rome at Hotel Stella, north of Termini, about a 5-10 minute walk from Termini. I was disappointed for a couple of reasons-the selection of restaurants in the surrounding area was pretty small, there wasn't a lot of pedestrian traffic so I felt a bit uncomfortable at night by myself (although I was fine when my husband was with me), and a man followed me down the street in a van during the middle of the day and once again there wasn't really anyone around.

Granted it is close to transporation options (Metro, trains, buses) but unless you plan on using Termini to take trains to/from places a lot, my personal opinion is that you're better off in other areas. Maybe the other side of Termini that Howard is referring to is a better location, most of the hotels where we were located were 1-2 star hotels.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Ed

As to how pleasant ones visit might be based on where one stays:

Everyone has their own way to enjoy a city. We, like so many Romans and other visitors, enjoy strolling in the evening, sitting at a table at the sidewalk or in the piazza, just watching people.

I can't imagine doing these things around Termini. Certainly enjoyable in the Pantheon/Navona area, which many would pick as a first choice locale. Certainly enjoyable in the via Veneto area which is our preference. Campo de' Fiori, Piazza del Popolo, Spanish Steps ... all areas with a pleasant ambience, daytime and nighttime.

Do such pleasant surroundings enhance my pleasure at visiting a city? Greatly. Perhaps not for everyone ... I suspect not for you. But the ambience may well make a large differnece to many visitors new to the city. Wanting newcomers to enjoy the city as much as possible, I recommend against the Termini area.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Capo

I have to agree with Ed on this. While the Termini area (at the least the part we walked around, to the north and west) didn't seem terrible by any means, it also didn't seem nearly as atmospheric or appealing to us as the two neighborhoods we stayed in, the Spanish Steps (which we loved!), and the Prati district (just across the Tiber from the Piazza del Popolo). (While the Prati district wasn't the most convenient place to the historic center of Rome, we preferred its relatively more "laid-back" quality to the intensity of the area around Termini.)

When we return, assuming we can find an available place within our budget, we'd prefer to stay either near the Spanish Steps or in the Prati district again, or else near Piazza Navona/Piazza della Rotonda or Campo di Fiori. But we wouldn't be averse to staying in the Termini area.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 11:26 AM
cristina

I stayed near the Termini, about a 10 min walk. I didnt think it was bad at all. I couldnt tell you if it was east west north or south of the station. I stayed in the Luxor which was on Via Nationale. From our hotel we walked to every spot except the Vatican. The Trevi fountain was 10 mins away, the spanish steps 15 mins away, and the colleseum which was about 20 min away. I didnt find the area I stayed it bad at all, and it was ideal for shopping. I would definitly stay in that area again.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Howard

Ed, you have totally missed the point of my disagreement.
I totally agree that the area around the termini is not a prime area in which to stay. And, on our next trip we'll probably stay in one of the areas you cited.
However, you stated flatly, "If you want your visit to be 'okay,' the terminal area will likely help satisfy that desire. If you like your visit to be wonderfully memorable, pick another area."
And, I say, from experience, staying near the termini can produce a memorable experience. And, I'll even venture to say that staying in a choice area, while giving you a greater chance of a memorable experience, doesn't guarantee one.
Ed, it's what the person does with his/her days (and nights) and how he/she reacts to them that creates the memorable experience. Perhaps, "ludicrous" was not the best word to describe your comments, but I'll stick by the word "somplistic"!
(PS: Ed, I still think you and your website provide great, great information!)

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Ed

Howard, I hear you. And I understood.

What I don't agree with, though, is saying that everything is fine everywhere.

I will grant that some people will be happy almost anywhere. I'd be quite unhappy based in the Prati quarter. Capo obviously feels differently. I have friends who enjoy staying in Parioli, which is too inconvenient for me.

The difference between this forum and fun of the mill guidebooks (including the very good Fodors series) is that we have the opportunity to give very candid, direct opinions. I find few websites, especially government- or industry-sponsored, and few guidebooks that really express an opnion.

In my humble opinion based only on a couple dozen visits to the city, the terminal station area is about number 11 on my list of areas in which I'd most enjoy staying. That's not saying it's bad. That's not saying it has no (desirable) character. That's not saying it's unsafe. That's not saying it's outrageously inconvenient. It's just that there are quarters better, more interesting, more conveniently located, and perhaps safer in some respects than immediately around Stazione Termini.

I've stayed up there, I've stayed virtually everywhere else in the city except Trastevere in over two dozen visits. The least I can do here, I think, is share what those experiences have taught me about things that are so-so, good, better and great.

Thanks for your kind words, Howard. I assure you I do think your advice on a variety of subjects is well informed and quite sage.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Capo

Ed, I suppose I should clarify my comments about the Prati district.

We were only about a half block from the Piazza della Liberta which, in turn, is right across the Tiber from the Piazza del Popolo, so it only took us a few minutes to walk from our B&B to that piazza, and only about 10 minutes to walk from our B&B to the Via della Croce (where our pensione for our first four nights was located.)

Our B&B was also only a few blocks from a Metro station, making it convenient to get to Piazza Barberini, Termini, the Colosseum, etc.

If we were to stay in the Prati district again, we would not stay much further away from the Tiber than we did. And, I also don't think the Prati would be our first choice. Presuming we could find available accomodations within our budget on a future trip, our choices would be: Piazza Navona/Piazza della Rotonda, Campo di Fiori, the Spanish Steps, and then, finally, the Prati district (or perhaps Trastevere.)

One of the aspects we really liked about the Prati district was that, although not as old-world atmospheric as the Centro Storico, it had a bit more expansive feel to it (wide sidewalks on the Via Cola di Rienzo, etc.) When we were there at the end of March/beginning of April, the trees (not sure what type?) lining the Via Cola di Rienzo had beautiful purple blossoms so it made walking along the street to the Vatican a real pleasure.

We both felt that staying there was a little like staying in Paris, and then just hopping across the Tiber into the heart of Rome.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Cindy

As you can see, philly, opinions vary on this subject.

I recently stayed in a hotel near Termini. It has improved dramatically since my first visit to the Termini area over a decade ago. That's the good news. And the only good news.

The bad news is that it is just not convenient to much of what you're going to Rome to see. You must commute to everything. Hard to find a place for a quick meal. So that's a drag. I'd say stay elsewhere unless there is a really, really good reason to stay near Termini.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Howard

Ed, we're really not in that much disagreement. Without belaboring the point, I'm not saying everything is fine everywhere. Rather, I'm saying--in the context of your comment--that it's POSSIBLE to have a good time everywhere.
(Ed, I've got say that I think it's great that it is possible to disagree on the forum in a civil manner.)
In response to Cindy, it's obvious that we stayed in different parts of the termini area. We walked to a lot of the sites (including the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.) and had no problems finding many choices for a quick meal any time of the day.
So, Philly, don't be discouraged about the area. You and the kids will be fine! Hey, just being in Rome is exciting in itself.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Chris Philhower

We stayed around Termini also -- the area? Not so great, I wouldn't hang around alone at night (or for too long during the day), but no problems walking back to the hotel at 8pm (dark in March). We stayed near St. Maria-Maggiore (on the side farthest from the train station).

If I had it to do again, I would have picked another area to stay in. We liked the hotel, no problems with it at all, but the area? So-so. For your first trip, I say try another area if you can.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 02:34 PM
nfw

That is the point I was trying to make.
I wouldn't want my family walking around
there at night. But everyone's comfort
level and tolerance level is diff.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Howard

To put things in the proper perspective for Philly:
1. The area around the termini is not the most attractive area to stay when in Rome. But, parts of it are okay.
2. The area around the termini is not the most convenient in Rome, but it's not the worst either. You can walk to many of the sites.
3. The area around the termini is convenient to public transportation.
4. Parts of the area around the termini are perfectly safe at night.
5. Yes, if you can find lodging in a better, more convenient area, then do it. But if not, don't worry about it. You'll be okay!