Rome to Tuscany by Car or Train?!?

Jun 8th, 2001, 11:22 AM
cbraae

Rome to Tuscany by Car or Train?!?

Traveling for 2 weeks in Italy end of September. Since our time is limited we want the most direct route and to spend the least amount of time possible to get to each destination. Here is out itinerary: Rome to Positano to Tuscany (near Siena) to Venice.
We planned to train to Positano then back to Rome where we would rent a car to Tuscany.

QUESTION: should we hold onto the car and drive to Venice (or just outside) and drop off the vehicle there OR take the car to Florence and train into Venice??

Also, does any know any reputable and cheap car rental agencies?

All suggestions and comments would be most appreciated!

Jun 8th, 2001, 12:01 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You do not want to drive at all in either Rome nor Florence. I would get your car in Sorrento as you depart from Positano, stop in Pompeii enroute, and drive to Tuscany from there. That will be a long day, but better than going to Rome. Drop the car in either Siena or in Florence[airport] and train to Venice. Many car vendors have a 3 day minimum. Contact www.autoeurope.com for your best deals. Plan on 6 hours driving the long day--plus stops.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:09 PM
rlk

Rented a car for 3 days thru www.autoeurope.com during a visit to Italy last month. Charge for a manual transmission, intermediate size (it was an Opel Vectra) was $210 --- vehicle was diesel, which turned out to be an advantage as diesel fuel is much cheaper than regular gasoline.
If you rent an automatic transmission, cost will be quite a bit higher.

Jun 9th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Larry

Hi,
We rented a car in Rome - through AutoEurope and left Rome early on a Sunday morning, took the Autostrada to about Terni and then off through Tuscany. Stayed in Castellina in Chianti and explored and then drove to Florence, dropped the car, walked to the train station and took train to Venice (absolutely no need for a car)and then to Santa Margherita, the Cinque Terre and Milan.(I thought trains were great)
In my opinion, ya gotta have a car in Tuscany. A caveat - know exactly where you are dropping the car in Florence - e-mail me for our horror story. Autostrada is a lesson for everyone - pass quickly and get back in the right lane as fast as possible so you don't get run over by someone doing 100 mph++
If you decide to drive in Chianti,
Author: elaine ([email protected])
Date: 1/04/2001, 5:54 pm ET
For the Chianti region, there's a great, detailed map available free on the web.
www.monterinaldi.it/en/. Click on "The Map of Chianti Classico area", fill in your name & address on the next screen, and you'll get a map in the mail in a few weeks. It's 1:80,000 in scale,
so it's quite detailed. As a bonus, it shows exactly where all of the Chianti wine estates are located.
I did this and it was great. e-mail if any questions or........
Enjoy

Jun 9th, 2001, 07:29 AM
weetbuck

Why not just take the train the whole trip (and buses & boats occasionally)? Enjoy the traveling!!! We did the train Rome-Sicily-Positano-Capri-Florence-Pisa-Rome by train in 3 weeks and enjoyed the scenery, met great people on the trains with great travel tips. From Forence we took the bus to Tuscany ...you have to see "San Gimignano" !!!!!

If I had to do it over I would go to fewer places & pack really light.

Jun 9th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Diane

You want a car in Tuscany. Bob's suggestion is right on. Distances aren't far and when you're on your own schedule...trust me (and Bob and Larry) it is the way to visit Tuscany. By the way, Chianti is just one area in Tuscany. The countryside between the towns is enchanting. You can stop to take pictures to your hearts delight. We had a delightful picnic just outside Castellina in Chianti. We had picked up mortedello and cheese sandwiches, a bottle of water and a bottle of wine (1997 Chianti Classico) in a tiny grocery shop. She opened the wine for us and provided cups and napkins, too. Guess they know their customers well! We too had a difficult time in Florence (and we thought from the map it was a simple route between our hotel and the public long-term car park! ha ha ha ha ha) Finally a guy on a Vespa directed us to follow him as he took us to the street we needed (Via Cavour). As we checked in to Hotel Casci, we snapped up the offer for valet parking. Didn't need the car until we we left two days later. By then it was easy to find the way out so that we could stop by Piazza Michaelangelo for the incredible parting view of Florence and to visit a gem of a church and cemetary. Earlier in our trip we'd spent two nights in Chiusi. After Florence we did two nights near Monteriggioni. On our next trip we will follow the excellent advise often provided here and stay in country for a week, daytripping to Florence, Siena, and all those other delightful places.

Jun 9th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Betsy

Another suggestion is to take the train from Positano to Orvieto (you may have to change in Rome) and rent your car there and drive in Tuscany. You could drop the car off in Perugia and take the train into Venice.

We have used AutoEurope several times and will use them again--there's no extra charge for pick up/drop off at different locations in the same country.

Buon Viaggio

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:10 PM
deepa

We will be in Tuscany in late august and after doing some research, we have decided to take the train from Rome to Chiusi (direct train, an hour or so)and then pick up our rental car from there and then drive around in Tuscany and finally drop the car off in Chiusi as well. I understand driving in and out of Rome can be a nightmare. On another trip to the Amalfi coast, we took a train from Rome to Salerno (driving on the Amalfi coast is not easy)and then a bus from there to Positano. I remember we had to change the bus at Amalfi (very easy)and that gave us a chance to walk around and shop in Amalfi, which is small and can be done in an hour or so. Finally, we took a train from Sorrento to Naples and picked up our car from the train station and drove to FLorence and after making good time on the highway, got completely lost on reaching the city, so do find out exactly where you need to drop your car off, if you follow this plan. I know Venice is easily accessible from Florence (direct short train ride) and you don't need a car in either city. So, here's what I think, as per your itinerary, you need a car only to enjoy Tuscany and not elsewhere, where a car may be more of a bother. So, my advice-train from Rome to Amalfi coast (combine with bus or hydrofoil to reach Positano). On the way out, pick up car from Naples and drive to Tuscany. Then drop off car in Florence or another place in Tuscany (and take train to Florence or bus from Seina). Finally take train to Venice. Have a great trip.