Terminal 2F to 2D - Battleplan for rapid walk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone might be able to help with the specifics of moving between 2F and 2D. I've tried to read through most of the posts discussing the nightmare of connections at Charles DeGaulle with all kinds of examples of moving from one terminal to another but none explain these two.

Our AF flight is Toronto to CDG to Athens and return. We have 3 hours between flights one way, but only 70 minutes the other way. I'm trying to decipher the terminal map. Can anyone explain how you maneuver through the TGF station between 2D and 2F. Do you go up or down in 2F? - 2F is on multi-levels but 2D is on one level. If we walk between the terminals, it appears that we will leave and re-enter security and passport control. I know this may seem overly obsessive but we will have so little time if the anticipated delays at the gate occur. An advance battleplan for navigating the connections may mean the difference between making and missing the flight.

Sheepishly I fall into the category of people who find out about the mayhem and madness of CDG Airport only AFTER booking our flights! Sigh.

Thanks in advance for anyone's guidance.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:52 AM

To start with, don't count on your arrival and departing terminals to be cast in stone. AF (and CDG authorities) often change terminals at the last minute. Mine from NRT to CDG was changed from 2F to 2D during the flight (this was in Nov).
Normally you stay airside for connecting international flights. But your CDG-ATH flight is an internal Schengen flight, so you will have to go through passport control once during your transfer. The normal way of doing this is to go down one level on arrival at 2F and catch interterminal bus that connects all terminals in 2 - this will take about 10-15 min. You then go through security and straight to your gate in 2D. When I did the reverse from D to F, it took around 20 min in all, but there were no lines for security (took about 5 min). On previous occasion, security line was long and took 20 min.
So normally 20-30 min is enough for the transfer, but if your incoming flight is delayed, it may be a close shave, and while you may make the connection, your luggage may not - that's another matter at CDG! Best to travel with carry-on only.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2F to 2D is an easy walk.

(A)(C).(E)
.......(x)..
(B)(D).(F)

X is the location of the RER/TGV station to which ther terminals are connected.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Easy walk, yes. BUT your plane may land in the section of the runway that borders Brittany and you may be forced to exit onto the tarmac and get in a bus to the terminal. You may not make it onto the first bus and need to wait for the second bus and then wait till if fills. Then the bus seems to take a leisurely route to the terminal. Then your easy walk becomes a mad OJ Simpson run and you get to your gate and watch them close the door of your plane....I'm just sayin. (Been there)
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:01 AM

And then whe you actually get there here's what happens: your plane does let you out away from the terminal and you get on the first bus just before it pulls away.

You breeze through Passport Control and then security and have time to spear at the departure gate.

You've done EVERYTHING possible to include memorizing the terminal maps at this point short of actually going through the motion. It is time to think positively because MANY of us HERE have actually made connections at CDG and even had the baggage make it and with a shorter timeframe than yours.

Why subject yourself to stress and doubt?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It seems to be a Fodorite obsession to say that connections at CDG are terrible, but I would say that for every person who complains, there are probably at least 100 others who have nothing to say, because they had no problems at CDG. I just flew in last week on AF from Singapore. Even though the flight left 45 minutes late from Changi, we arrived 5 minutes early at CDG (6:05 a.m.), and in spite of simultaneous arrivals from Brazzaville, Hanoi and Hong Kong in the same terminal, I was through immigration 20 minutes later and on the RER which left for Paris at 6:48.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi Dave,

>We ...only 70 minutes the other way.

I estimate that you have a 30% chance of making your connection. Your baggage has a 20% chance.

If you miss your connection:
Don't panic. Don't get upset. Don't raise your voice.

Remember to say "bonjour, Madam/Monsieur"

They will put you on the next available flight.

If you have to stay overnight, they will put you up at a hotle.

> I was through immigration 20 minutes later and on the RER..<

But you weren't changing planes, kerouac, which usually means going through Immigration and then through Security.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

I have a similar question for CDG. I fly JFK to CDG to Stuttgart Germany. Will I have to claim my luggage and recheck to germany? Or, do I just go thru customs and onto the next terminal. As of now I arrive in 2E and depart 2D. I have an hour and a half. I know when I fly from STR to ATL I have to claim and recheck my luggage for my connection to home.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM

brae67 - You go through immigration to get into France. Walk over to 2D. Reclear security and go to gate. You will not claim bags and no customs.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks, with a plan I am on my way!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM

Here's ABCD: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/R...9-cdg2abcd.pdf

And EF: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/R...2b4-cdg2ef.pdf
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Can anyone tell me how to figure out which gate my flights are supposed to arrive/depart at CDG?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Do you mean terminal? I don't know that you can find out the exact gate (nor why it would be necessary), but whatever they tell you, it can change at the last minute, anyway. 2E or 2D is the terminal, not the gate. It should be on your itinerary. If not, call and ask the airline or look online.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM

You can get arrivals and departure information on www.adp.fr

Terminals don't change often. If you're flying in 2 days, and the same flight used 2B - for example - yesterday and today, then you can pretty much be sure you're using 2B too.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks. I'm flying into 2A from Houston and connecting to Rome in Terminal 2 but doesn't say which letter in terminal 2. We are changing airlines from Continental to Alitilia so we have to go through baggage claim and customs and then security (??) We have 3 hours connection time so I hope we will make it!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM

AZ, as well as codeshare on AF, to FCO departs from 2F. Yes, CO arrives at 2A. You can take the airside shuttle to 2F first, then go through immigration there; or go through immigration at 2A, then walk or shuttle to 2F.

Hard to say which may be the fastest, but with 3 hours, you should be fine any of those ways.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Thank you RK. It is obviously my first time at this so I appreciate the help. One more question: Where will baggage claim be? Do we get our luggage and then head to 2F or is it closer to 2F?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM

You don't claim bags. At the CO desk in Houston (or wherever your origin is), make sure they check your bags to FCO (or wherever your final destination is).

You won't see your bags in Paris.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Seriously? I'll be honest, that freaks me out! I bought the flights seperately, so how will my bags get from Continental to Alitalia? Do I need to set that up with Continental when I check in?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Yes, you tell CO when you check your bags that you're connecting onto AZ. You'll need to show your itinerary, and they'll need to confirm it somehow. If the person says no or not sure, tell him/her to find a supervisor.

It can be done, as CO and AZ definitely has interline baggage agreement. You just have to find someone knowledgeable enough to do it. And make sure the luggage tag indeed says FCO as the destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -