Terezin by bus from Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are currently in Prague. We were wondering if anyone had suggestions/tips on using the bus system to take a day trip to Terezin.

Has anyone taken the bus?
Is it easy to figure out?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop....html#15887875
this link from the Trip Advisor website should answer you question.
I have used buses ,trams ,metro and trains often in the Czech republic and there are usually englicsh translations in many places.
Never done the trip to Terezin.
hopefully this all helps.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you unclegus- it was a great help

Fingers crossed that we make it there and back!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the bus to Terezin is easy. It will drop you by the camp. Buy the combo ticket at the camp's ticket office. After you tour the camp, walk into the village and look around there, see the museum, etc. You can catch the bus back to Prague from there.

Certainly a worthwhile visit, albeit not a joyous, happy one.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Just did this trip, as a matter of fact, a few weeks ago. It's not difficult.

To the best of my recollection there's a bus to Terezin at around 0600 and not another until 1230 from the Florent (I think) bus station, which is right in back of the Florent metro (best doublecheck the correct station and schedule, my memory might be faulty). I'd been led to believe that there would be an hourly bus, but my guidebook was mistaken. Last bus back from Terezin to Prague was at 1810 or so. The bus stop is equidistant from the town/camp of Terezin and the Little Fortress, about half a kilometer from each. If you take the 1230 bus, you won't have a great deal of time, certainly not enough...budget accordingly. I'd suggest that you make the effort to catch the early bus, or to consider making an overnight of it...I seem to remember seeing a pension on the south side of town, on the road going to the crematorium and cemetery. We spent our time wandering the museum, the town and crematorium...the museum especially was remarkable. I regret that we didn't have time to tour the Little Fortress.

I'll second Joan's opinion....a worthwhile trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM

I was just researching this today for my upcoming trip! According to my Rick Steves' guidebook, "Buses leave almost hourly from stands 16 and 17 at Prague's Florenc station (at the intersection of Metro lines B and C) and arrive in Terezin about one hour later at the public bus stop on the main square, around the corner from the Museum of the Ghetto. For schedules see www.idos.cz, you want 'Terezin LT. ... On the trip back the bus drops you off a the Holesovice train station on Metro line C. If the return bus doesn't fit your schedule, consider taking a taxi from Terezin to the Bohusovice station (5 min. ride) trains to Prague depart nearly hourly, 1-1.5 hrs.) There is no taxi service from Bohusovice to Terezin making the train a good option only for the return journey."

Please post back and let me know if you made this trip as I'd like to hear your impressions. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Hmmmm.....looking at Unclegus' suggestions, it appears that we would have been a lot better off leaving from the Holesovice station. I'd give that one a try.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM

KT, that's the book on which I relied, only to discover, on arrival at the Florenc station, that the hourly departures just weren't so.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Good to know, RedStater -- thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM

All of the guidebooks I've looked at say the hourly buses depart from Florenc, but if you search for the route on the website referenced in the Rick Steves book it shows that the hourly departures are now from Holesovice. Looks like they changed the route since this year's guidebooks went to press.