Reload this Page >

Teens in Irish pubs? OK?

Search

Teens in Irish pubs? OK?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Rosie

Teens in Irish pubs? OK?

We are going to travel to Ireland with our 16 year old daughter. Will she be able to be with us in pubs?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:44 AM
bettye

My kid was never asked to leave an irish pub in our stay of a week's length (and I must admit we went to at least one a day). London was a different story--in some he could sit at the bar, others only at a table, and sometimes he couldn't even come in. Never quite figured out the system, but I'm sure there is one...

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Frank

If you are visiting southern Ireland they are quite relaxed about younger members of the family being in pubs even though they are under age. (Age being 18) Provided they do not consume alcohol.<BR>Things are different in Northern Ireland. There the UK law applies and juniors are not allowed into licenced premises unless they are accompanied by adults and the establishment has a permit to sell food. Again the only drink allowed is non alcholic.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:53 AM
suzanne

I was surprised at the number of kids (teenage, mostly) hanging out in the pubs in Ireland with their realtives. YES, you can definitely take your daughter in. One note though - though the beer is great and people are friendly, those pubs can be smoky to the extreme!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Cathy

Rosie<BR><BR>As a result of a recent court ruling on a case taken under the Equal Status Act 2000 you need to have a child with you to be served in an Irish pub - this quirk in Irish law will no doubt be changed soon !! otherwise as long as your "kid" is not running around annoying other people and drinking alcohol it will be OK. Irish pubs tend to run community events and be the focus in the community and as a result it is quite common to see children in pubs with their parents,<BR><BR>Cathy

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:27 AM
xxx

Rosie, as the the other posters have mentioned, you should be fine as long as you accompany her.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:50 AM
tttt

It's generally o.k., but not universally by any means. Scope out the situation, and if the "regulars" are kinda glowering at you or they don't seem overly anxious to serve you or the vibe just doesn't seem quite right, then maybe try the next place. Also, children are less welcome after roughly 9:00 p.m. than during the day or early evening.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Tricia

In Ireland, the drinking age is 18 (both to buy and to drink, and regardless of location - except if it's a private residence). By law, children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult in order to enter a bar or pub. Any individual establishment may make its own, harsher restrictions and there are certainly venues which prohibit entry by people under a certain age, but that will normally be clearly signposted so you can see it as you approach the door. Otherwise, your daughter shouldn't have any issues, if she doesn't intend to order alcohol... chances are no one will bat an eye.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:15 PM
marylouise

Hi Rosie<BR>We had no problem taking our then 9 and 13 year olds into pubs while we visited Ireland in June 2000. In Ballyferriter the owner was serving dinner to a table full of his own young children and their soccer team mates. Most of them were younger than my children.<BR>We traveled in Galway, through the soutwest Dingle, Cork, Cashel and left via Dublin. No problem anywhere and they provided the best meals!<BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:18 AM
KieranB

In the Republic of Ireland (often referred to by our overseas neighbours, in ignorance, as southern Ireland) it should not be a problem generally but you might have issues in some of the trendier bars in urban areas. Cathy mentioned a recent court case (I don't agree with her interpretation, but maybe she's being humourous.....)which to my understanding was a situation where a pub asked a man to leave the premises because he was accomponied by his underage son. Pub owners have always had the right to refuse entry to whoever they wanted on any grounds they wanted, and many had a policy of no young children after 18:00. With the new law Cathy mentioned it seems they can't do that anymore. Somebody mentioned London, but you know that's not in Ireland so it's of no relevance. Have a good trip