Search

Tea in York -- not Betty's ?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tea in York -- not Betty's ?!

Hello,
could someone please recommend a good place for cream tea? I've been to Betty's and the food didn't wow me, also the masses of tourists detracted from the (potential)atmosphere. Okay, so I know I'll be a tourist too, but I long for a neighbourhood place where I can have my scone, preserves, clotted cream and a pot of tea. Doesn't need to be fancy but the food should be what matters. I'm open to suggestions, any price range okay, but cheap is good too!

With thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Betty's in Harrogate - the food is superb - I'm British, live in London, always have done, I always stop in at Betty's - I don't do tea though - have something savoury. English tea is naff and dull - how can sandwiches and scones ever wow you?

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Depends when you go to York, I guess. I was just recently in Betty's at 4 p.m. in the first week of June this year to be exact. The place was near deserted, the tea and scones were excellent, and it was mostly locals roaming the Shambles, not tourists.

BTW, I had a good Yorkshire and roast beef lunch in the pub called the Three Tuns, not too far away. Same story there.

Still, like you, I'd be interested in places that offer respite from tourists during 'the season'.

As a PS, I would avoid the pub called Judges Chambers and the Italian restaurant called Silvano's. Both were quire mediocre.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Oddly, I was in Betty's in York in January and it was packed. Particularily annoying, was a loud American couple sitting near us. Please don't read anything into that statement, this one couple does not represent the whole country!

My fat-rascal was not as its name would have you believe, and nothing wowed me. Actually, the display in the window impressed me the most. would anyone recommend Little Betty's?

I will try the one at Harrogate, as I'll be in the area for quite some time.

As for English tea... I'm English, but have been in Canada much of my life. I love tea, have been fortunate enough to drink many varieties in many countries. For me, there is still nothing more comforting than a pot of Yorkshire tea, especially when away from home. Sandwiches dull, yes (they don't interest me in the least), but a proper scone with real clotted cream is hard to come by at home -- I look forward to this small thing when I return to England. So indulge me a little... more recommendations for Tea in York is appreciated.

With thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:59 AM

I was in Little Betty's just last Saturday and ordered the Yorkshire Tea. I am Australian Chinese, am not a tea nor scone connoisseur but absolutely LOVE consuming them in large quantities.

Am very upset to say that the scones weren't as yummy as I expected them to be (I thought they should be served WARM?? That's the option I have in OZ) and the Speacial Tea Blend was a disspointment. The scones just did not appear to have the 'home-made' appearance I was expecting!

I have fallen in love with the tea the old ladies serve in our hospital cafe and after enquiring, found out it's a brand called "Ring -Tons". In my humble tea tasting opinion, even much more aromatic than Twinnings!!!

Also, a local York-er told me that Little Betty's has a much nicer atmosphere than Betty's itself. I agree, it was the window display that won me over!!!

If anything, the service was fantastic.