Search

Tea at Browns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:57 PM
gg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tea at Browns

How far in advance should reservations for tea be made? Is it acceptable for 2 people to share a full tea service and just order a cup of tea for the second person?
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:56 PM

I've never booked more than a week ahead, and I think that should be fine.<BR><BR>Tea is charged per person, so I can't imagine ordering for one and sharing, but then there are a lot of things I don't do that others do. It seems to me that this is sort of like two people going to a buffet, paying for one, and then sharing off a plate.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 04:16 AM
gg
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. I will call a week ahead. I am taking my son and I was hoping sharing a tea service would be like sharing a pizza not a buffet.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 04:31 AM

gg, just a word of warning - please don't try ordering a tea service. In the UK that phrase relates to the crockery, not the meal. A full tea service would be 6 cups, saucers, side plates and a milk jug and sugar bowl. Not quite what you expected I think.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:43 AM
gg
Original Poster

Xenos<BR>OK, afternoon tea not tea service
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 06:47 AM
ira

Hi gg<BR> You will find FAQ's on Brown's at<BR>http://www.gofortea.com/hotels/222.htm.<BR> Unfortunately, you can't order less than the full tea.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 09:44 AM

Hi<BR>At all formal afternoon teas, it's per person, no sharing<BR>If you are concerned about expense, there are less-expensive alternatives to Browns and the other top level hotels, where you can still sample nice sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, etc and not even have to dress up or take 2 hours to have it.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:20 AM

But Elaine, isn't the dressing up and taking your time the whole point of afternoon tea for tourists? What I mean is, you can get nice sandwiches and scones from virtually any baker's shop or supermarket in England and sit and eat them on a park bench, but it's hardly the same thing is it?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:21 AM

BTW--Brown's has seating for tea in a lounge area with big chairs and sofas, as well as more traditional dining room setting. We enjoyed the lounge area...
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I guess I said that as a person who did the formal afternoon tea thing on the first couple of trips years ago.<BR><BR><BR>Now I usually don't want to spend the 2-3 hours plus going back to the hotel to change clothes. I DO want the yummy scones and jam and cream in the middle of the afternoon and to rest my weary feet, so I go elswhere less formal.<BR>I get other opportunities to dress up, such as for dinner.<BR><BR>I'm not saying I'll never go formal for tea again, for example, I've heard so much about tea at Brown's that I'm sure I'll try it again, especially if I'm with an eager companion. So far, my high standard for a formal tea is the Dorchester. On the other hand, afternoon tea at the Thistle Charing Cross hotel, took only an hour, I was nicely but not formally dressed, and the scones were wonderful. Not very ceremonial, but plenty tasty.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I tend to agree with Elaine. Tea at Brown's is a deadly serious affair, and you have to be up for it. My aunt, a London antiques expert, takes some of her American clients to Browns for tea or dinner because they ask her to, although she finds it &quot;stuffy&quot; and dour. There are plenty of tea houses all over London that &quot;ordinary&quot; people go to for tea (there is one on Brompton Rd. near Harrod's that I like). But, if you want the &quot;experience&quot; and to be able to say you went to Brown's for high tea, then go for it.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:54 PM

The Richoux chain, though a little ersatz ye-olde looking, offers pretty good scones and cream and pastries as well
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Just to clear up what seems to be a fairly common misunderstanding, &quot;high tea&quot; is usually a cooked evening meal which children and working people have instead of dinner. It's basically the same thing as dinner, but usually served slightly earlier (say, between 5 and 7 o'clock) and referred to as &quot;tea&quot;.<BR><BR>The pots of tea, small sandwiches, cakes, etc, meal that is served in hotels is called &quot;afternoon tea&quot; It's served earlier in the afternoon so that you can have dinner later.<BR><BR>The meal which consists of only a pot of tea with scones, jam and (usually) clotted cream is served mainly in the West country (Devon, Cornwall and Somerset). It's called a &quot;cream tea&quot; and is eaten in the afternoon.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:37 AM

How formal is formal re: Tea at Brown's? My mom wants to do this when we go to London in Sept. Will a plain black skirt and a tailored white shirt suffice? That's as formal as I'm bringing in my one suitcase!<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Jennie
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:53 AM

you'll look fine!