London Afternoon Tea Awards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like tea at Claridge's tops this year's awards, beating last year's winner (the Lanesborough):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4921572.stm

Peronally, I've never been for afternoon tea at one of these places (and probably never will) but thought I'd post this as it seems an often discussed topic.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Neopolitan

Presumably with all that service one should tip more than 10%? So tea for two at Claridges would cost about $115 US. The picture would make you think you get tea, a scone, clotted cream, and jam. Hopefully you get a lot more , but the article only mentions the wide selection of teas.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I wondered about that photo too...Does Claridge's really serve their afternoon tea on Cornish ware and with a paper napkin? I don't think the Claridge staff will thank the BBC for that accompanying photo ;-)
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM

BTilke, you're right - this looks more like a nice picnic than tea at Claridge's!

Anyone been recently who can report on what was served? And how it was served?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I went there a few years ago and it was great. We were in a beautiful room seated on antique style sofas being served by people in 18th century livery!

We had a wide choice of teas plus many different types of sandwiches plus many different types of cake.

It is expensive but as someone else was paying (company trip) I just sat back and enjoyed it.

I've also been to tea at the Ritz and I'd say Claridges was much nicer - luxurious and atmospheric but less 'stuffy' and more relaxed. the actual food/tea was much the same.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I haven't been all that recently (2003) but the table setting and presentation was nothing like what's shown in the photo. It was quite elegant -- white tablecloths, beautiful china, a three-tiered tray of gorgeous delectables (refilled if needed). Food included several kinds of tea sandwiches, tiny scones, clotted cream, jam, and assorted petits fours and pastries. And yes, a wide selection of teas. Service was impeccable. I'd say it's definitely worth the money.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Nona & Cherie, that sounds more like it!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Well, of course, Claridge's wouldn't serve a tea on those plates and with paper napkins. Seems like laziness (or a mischief minded production assistants) on the BBC's part to pull up that photo when I'm sure Claridge's would have been more than happy to provide them with a photo of their tea service.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Neopolitan

Actually the only other thing missing from the photo to make it a complete turnoff would have been a used tea bag, placed next to the cup.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM

My husband and I enjoy afternoon tea in the Georgian room at Harrods -- it's not as expensive as the teas at the top hotels (I believe it was about 20&pound and you get a nice plate of sandwiches, a plate of scones and a plate of pastries and they will give you more of anything you want -- which my husband really appreciates after a long morning of walking. The room is elegant, you usually don't need a reservation, the service is good, they have a pianist, and it's a very pleasant experience at less money.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM

We did tea at the Georgian room at Harrod's also.

We weren't looking for a really fancy experience (with accompanying expense) and it worked in perfectly as a nice break during a long day of walking and shopping.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM

What's the best time to have afternoon tea at Claridge's? Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM

4 of us had afternoon tea at Claridges around 3. It was fabulous -- here is a description; there was enough food that we couldn't finish it. We did the champagne along with the tea:

Tea is served on Limoges porcelain with Robbe and Berking silver (founded 1874) and silver cake stands are so tall that they can be placed on the floor next to the table. Claridge's offers 14 different blends of tea. Entertainment is provided by a pianist and a violinist. 'Tea at Claridge's' costs 26 GBP. (this was is 2004)
Address: Brook Street, Mayfair, London W1A 2JQ, Tel: +44-20-7629 8860, Fax: +44-20-7499 2210, E-Mail: [email protected], Website: www.claridges.co.uk
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM

Interesting that they used R&B silver, it's a German company--I would have thought they would have used English silver. Nothing wrong with R&B, though, I have the Martele pattern!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM

I don't know why people have this fascination with "afternoon tea". I think it's rather like a cheeseboard in a restaurant..it's a course/meal that one can enjoy just as much as home..of course it's unlike that it'll be served in the same fashion, but the food is still the same.

It's very easy to buy good quality patisserie and enjoy at home.

A cocktail or two is far more fun at Claridge's, tea is just dull, even if it is Claridge's!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Neopolitan

Duh. Here's a thought. Maybe most of those people discussing having afternoon tea in London don't happen to have a home in London? Could that be it?

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM

I'm sure there are good patisserie shops elsewhere in the world. Far better ones than in London too I might add!

Sandwiches can be done anywhere, I don't understand eating such "raw" (in preparation terms) food and paying high prices for it. If you want to sit in Claridge's Foyer/Reading Room (and that is understandable) have a cocktail instead or something from their "usual" menu.

Of course, some people like tea for some reason...Fortnum's might be better as they have a wonderful selection of teas in any of their restaurants if you want rare teas!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM

<font color="blue"> I think it is just like having coffee....why pay for it at a coffee shop when you can make it at home? Sometimes it is all about the experience of making yourself sit down, open a paper, and have a cup of coffee....and then again, it could just be that the particular cafe has a blend of coffee that you just adore.

I think having tea in a formal or semi-formal setting is more about the experience....you can sit back, relax, and make yourself enjoy some peace and a good cup of tea....try that at home and you will have ringing phones, nagging housechores, and the everpresent fodor forums that beckon to you! </font>
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM

A drink is one thing, it's an excuse to sit in lavish/oppulent/comfortable surroundings, you're not simply sitting there for the coffee itself. However, tea is much more involved, it's a meal.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM

Not everyone drinks alcohol. Of course, if one does it's certainly less expensive to stay home &amp; drink your plonk from a jelly jar.

I have to agree about tea at Harrod's. I thoroughly enjoyed it &amp; discovered a new favorite tea to bring home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -