Tea at Brown's?

Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Gee

Tea at Brown's?

We will be in London in early Feb. with our 4 and 8 year old children. Has anyone taken (well behaved and much travelled) children to tea at Brown's or is it just too fancy? If the answer is no, is there a place the afternoon tea that welcomes children but still gives the adults the experience? Also, are there any pubs that serve meals to families? Any places to eat the children would really enjoy? They are used to eating out weekly and not picky eaters. Thanks in advance.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:39 PM
rj

Brown's will be perfect. When my nephew was those ages we stayed there many times with him and had tea, dinner, etc. They loved him. I'm sure that Brown's is accustomed to well-behaved children at Tea. And, your children will always have a wonderful memory of a charming authentic high tea at one of the most charming hotels in London.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:25 PM
teaman

The key is "well-behaved". Are you sure about that?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:12 AM
Gee

We have had countless strangers comment on the children's positive behavior. They have both travelled since they were infants and are currently living abroad so they have more exposure to new places than the average child. I believe that the way children learn to behave appropriately in travel situations is to give them experience. Of course this should not be at the expense of other travellers so we would leave immeadiately if they become noisy etc. We also use common sense by not taking them to fancy adult, candle-lit places and we keep to their proper bed times. Yes, it makes for a different vacation for us but it is still a great vacation. The children often talk about the places they have been and remember things from places that they visited as early as two years old. We are fortunate to be able to provide them these wonderful experiences.

Any recommendations on places to eat?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
munchkin

Try McDonalds.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Gee

Munchkin, Are you having a bad day? I can not think of any other reason for your sarcasim. I asked a question because this is a travel forum where people are seeking advice.

If anyone would like to respond without being sarcastic I would really appreciate the help.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
munchkin

Hey, I'm great! Thanks for asking! I haven't had any screaming, squirming, snotty rugrats ruin my fine dining experience yet today!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
MaryC

Try the Fish & Chips place next to Victoria Coach Station (a block or 2 down from Victoria Station) for excellent takeout F&C. Also, try the Dickens Inn for lunch (they serve pub-style food such as Shepherd's Pie) and for dinner try the pizza that's served on the 2nd level. The Dicken's Inn is located at St. Katherine's Dock in the area of the Tower and Tower Bridge.

Hope you have a great time in London!

~MaryC : )

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Gee

Thank You Mary!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:26 PM
Pat

Hi Gee,
Re tea: I brought my 7 year old son to the Ritz for tea and he enjoyed it. The staff were very attentive to him. He is also well traveled and well behaved. I would give that a try over Browns.
As for dinner; Wagawama is great for kids. I also always go to Porters at 17 Henriette Street and Smollensky's Balloon. The kids always seem to love the Spaghetti House chain, too.
As far as museums, don't miss the Science Museum in Kensington as well as the Natural History Museum. The V & A has a children's pack that you sign for and then follow a trail around the museum. The Nat'l Gallery in Trafalgar Sq and the Tate Britain and the Courtaul also have this. It's a great way to see a museum with kids.
Have a great time.
Cheers,
Pat

Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:22 PM
Susan

We took our kids to London last year and this year we are going to Paris/London. We did not go for tea, (the adults were not interested) but we did eat out at pubs and restaurants. Our kids are a bit older (10 and 13 last year) but I think you will be fine. The kids loved pubs and in most places they shared an order of fish and chips. (they are very light eaters). We always checked to make sure that the pub allowed children before walking in with them. The kids also loved Belgaan Congo for dinner, and best of all, kids eat free there and the food is good for adults also. Have fun!

Jan 24th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Gee

Thanks Pat and Susan. I knew there were helpful people out there. We leave the 9th for a week so keep the recommendations coming.

Jan 24th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Leslie

Gee - We took our two children, then ages 9 and 11, to a lovely afternoon tea in the St. James Restaurant at the top of Fortnum & Mason two years ago. Not as much chintz as Brown's Hotel, but still very upscale and they were not the only children. Ours had been prepped to mind their manners as we didn't want to offend the British with our unruly California kids. Mine made me proud and they truly enjoyed the experience. All of the chidren were well behaved.

As to pubs that welcome children, I seem to recall the government now has a rating system and actually posts some kind of a sign in the window of pubs that are acceptable for children, e.g., food is served away from the bar area. Perhaps others can add to this info.

On www.londontown.com they have a pub search function. Two years ago, you could actually search for family-friendly pubs in specific neighborhoods. That's how we found The Swan on Bayswater Rd., near the Lancaster Gate tube station. I think it was on Sunday nights they even had a piano player in the back room and singalongs. It was great fun for us all.