Taxi from the airport

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Tanya

Taxi from the airport

When getting to the city (Rome) from the airport we are planning to take a taxi. Do they have an established rate, or is it a subject to bargaining?

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:50 AM
elaine

You want a licensed taxi with a shield on the side of the car, the cars are white or yellow I believe. They have meters, it is not a bargainingproposition. There are extra charges at night, on weekends and holidays, and for each piece of luggage.
Beware of unlicensed taxis.

You can also arrange to have a car service meet you and pick you up, it is about the same or very slightly more expensive than a taxi.

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Amanda

Also, in Rome all licesend taxis have a laminated rates and extra fees paper on the back side of the passenger seat. If it doesn't have one, it's not official. I got into a taxi with a meter, and the shield and ended up getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere and over-charged!
Don't go with anyone who has approached you, the real taxis just wait until you go up to the car or hail them down. It's a madhouse, so take your time before you get into a taxi, look around, and use your common sense!
Good luck!

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Tanya

Thank you all. It is very helpful.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Graziella

Hi do you know that besides the train and bus there is a shuttle in Rome, it charges for one person eu 39.50

you have to make resrvations
06 420 14507 fax
06 420 14511 ataxi I think will run about 50 euros, if you are taking one follow carefully the good advise given in the previous postings.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Arlene

At the airport there is a kiosk for car service at a flat rate. We found they were comparable to the taxi rate. We arranged for them totake us back to the airport on a Sunday at no extra charge.

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:31 PM
newt

make sure you get into marked taxi at the Taxi stand (don't get herded into unlicensed taxi's with no lines, bad sign). cost of taxi from FCO to Rome is roughly equal to limo rate. Mark down the taxi number as you get in (4 digits, inside of back doors) in case you run into problems.

Here's someone we would recommend, no hassle and definitely worth it:

Limo service: I highly recommend service run by Franco Cantoni – 065135382, [email protected]. He will transport you in a mid-size black Mercedes, point out sights along the way, humorous and speaks English well. I believe he is also available for day trips to the country side. E40 from Da Vinci to Rome center.