Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi from Naples train station to Vesuvius

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing a quick one day to hike Vesuvius and then take a guided tour of Herculaneum. We get into Napoli Centrali train station at 9:15am and then want to get to Vesuvius as quickly as possible so that we can hike it and get over to Herculaneum by 2pm for our tour. I know that we can wait for the train to Herculaneum and walk over to the entrance to Vesuvius park but I am wondering if it would be quicker to grab a taxi. Would taxis be waiting outside the station or do we need to prebook an Uber or other service? Which service is the most reliable in the Naples-Vesuvius area? Thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a taxi rank right outside the main entrance to the station and it usually has a queue of cabs waiting. You should have plenty of time to get to Vesuvius, walk up and back again and catch another cab to your Herculaneum booking. You may well have time for lunch depending on how quickly you hike.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 03:57 AM

It is possible to take a taxi from Napoli Centrale train station to Mount Vesuvius, but it may not be the most efficient option due to traffic and the potential for delays. Pre-booking a reliable car service or taxi in advance may be a better option, especially if you're on a tight schedule.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kimbedly
It is possible to take a taxi from Napoli Centrale train station to Mount Vesuvius, but it may not be the most efficient option due to traffic and the potential for delays. Pre-booking a reliable car service or taxi in advance may be a better option, especially if you're on a tight schedule.
Do you happen to know which car service is best for the area? I know that in some countries Uber is ubiquitous while in others you are better off downloading a more local app.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whether you pre-book a car service or take a cab outside the station, they will both be subject to the same traffic conditions and I have never exited the station in Naples without seeing a line of cabs waiting for fares. By the time you locate a car service and find his/her car parking spot, you'll be on the way with a cab.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mom929
We are doing a quick one day to hike Vesuvius and then take a guided tour of Herculaneum. We get into Napoli Centrali train station at 9:15am and then want to get to Vesuvius as quickly as possible so that we can hike it and get over to Herculaneum by 2pm for our tour. I know that we can wait for the train to Herculaneum and walk over to the entrance to Vesuvius park but I am wondering if it would be quicker to grab a taxi. Would taxis be waiting outside the station or do we need to prebook an Uber or other service? Which service is the most reliable in the Naples-Vesuvius area? Thanks.
My preference would be to take trains as much as possible.
Get off your train in Naples, go down 1 level to the Circumvesuviana local train. It's probably 7-8 stops to Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi). Catch your cab from there to Vesuvius base.
After your hike, another cab right back to the station. Walk down the hill to catch your tour.

If you really want a car service, we like Americo Car Service.