Reload this Page >

Bus Tour from Naples to Vesuvius

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:43 AM
M. Guay

We are looking for info on bus tours from Naples to Vesuvius and either Herculeum or Pompei. Does anyone know where to get info on these ? Are full-day tours available combining Vesuvius with either Pompei or Herculeum ? Do they run every day of the week in May ?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 05:31 AM
hatebus

We took a bus tour from Rome to Pompeii (I HAD to see Pompeii, and the threat of a train strike didn't sit well with me).<BR><BR>The biggest disappointment was that we could have seen so much more of Pompeii had we broken from the group -- most of the time was spent waiting for people to catch up, etc. We wished we had just ditched them in the beginning, bought the guide book and taken ourselves around. I can tell you that we learned little more from our guide than what was in the book.<BR><BR>I suggest using the trains. Since you're going from Naples, the trains are easy enough and you can guide yourselves through both places using a guidebook (or hire a guide when you get there). <BR><BR>The other downsides to bus tours are that you're on THEIR schedule, and they often include things you don't need (like an uninspired lunch, a "tour" of a cameo factory -- straight to the gift shop, etc). Grrrrr.<BR><BR>On the other hand, if you're looking for a no-hassle, pre-planned day, a bus trip is what you would sign up for. And don't get me wrong, after pouring over travel books and trying to plan everything else in your trip, having a pre-planned day can be a relief!<BR><BR>Sorry I can't offer help on your specific question, but I wasn't sure if you knew of the train possibility.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 05:51 AM
carol

It takes about 1/2 hour by train from Naples to Pompeii, and 1/2 hour in the opposite direction by train from Naples to Herculaneum. You will find many licensed private guides at the entrance to Pompeii; don't know about Herculaneum. You can't easily get to Vesuvius by train--maybe you might fax your hotel for tour/bus information.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:38 AM
anon

I don't know what the last poster meant, but Herculaneum and Pompeii are on the same train line from Naples. Herculaneum (Ercolano in Italian) is nearest Naples and Pompeii is a bit farther away from Naples, on the same train.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:54 AM
carol

Actually, when I was on the Circumvesuviana, I noticed the stop for Pompeii, but not Herculaneum--ergo my misinformation.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Gloria

Go by yourself! WE were on a Cosmos Tour and went to Pompei and Vesuvius with them. But having been there we know we could easily do these on our own. The entrance to Pompei is easy and right in town. Like someone said,..take your guidebook and walk through it. <BR>Vesuvius on the other hand would require some transportation but I am sure would be easy to get out there by just reading these posts and checking your travel guide. Riding the train is easy. WE went by train alone one day from Sorrento to have a pizza in Naples...it was fun and easy to do. WE do not speaka Italiano....all tourists but Naples is crowded but the train station is centrally located. WE asked a taxi driver to take us to the best pizza place in town. What a hoot. We went to a great neighborhood like place and had the best pizza in the world....<BR>The train station is a good place to buy some little souvenirs too....<BR><BR>have fun