Vineyards close to Rome?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Wendy

Vineyards close to Rome?

Hi,
Somewhere we heard about a monastery and vineyard just outside Rome. We'd be interested in seeing this place, but can't come up with the name. Does anyone know of such a place and/or vineyards worth visiting within an hour/hour and a half of ROme? We have a very short stay there in July. Thanks!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:08 PM
the turnip

Keep in mind I'm not a travel "expert" but just a lil 'ol turnip. Just north of Rome is Orvieto and the LaBadia (?) monastery turned resort. Orvieto has many vineyards and wonderful/fabulous wine Orvieto Classico. Mmmmmmmmm. We visited there two years ago, actually spending two nights in town and loved the experience.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers, the turnip

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Renee

Someone from work told me, before we went to Rome, that they went to Montalcino when they were in Italy. They thought that it wasn't too far from Rome, but we never had a chance to find out, since our days were taken up doing other things.

However, I can tell you that since being back, we've had wine on numerous occasions here, from the Montalcino area, and it's fantastic.

There's also a city about 45 min. south of Rome that is supposed to have vinyards--I think it's Frescia or something like that.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Diane

That would be Frascati! In Italy, they have Enotecas -- where you can taste (and buy) wines from the local areas (or in Rome, Florence, and Venice from all over the country.) The prices are generally quite reasonable.(Although a Brunello from Montalcino is going to cost quite a bit more than a Vino Nobile from Montelpulciano, or a "Black Rooster" Chianti Classico. 1995 and 1997 were very good years for Italian reds. Good to keep in the back of your mind! Have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Wendy

Thanks so much to everybody who responded to my question about vineyards outside Rome! Can't wait! Many, many thanks!