Tavira vs Lagos Portugal

Search

Tavira vs Lagos Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tavira vs Lagos Portugal

Checking to see any preferences for Tavira vs Lagos Portugal. We are planning to be in So Portugal late September 2024. We enjoy visiting old towns and villages as well as street side cafes. Any suggestions or recommendations.
thanks
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 02:41 PM

Tavira is close to the Spanish border while Lagos is closer to the center of the Algarve coast, from which you can visit areas east and west of the city. I would choose Lagos. We rented an AirBnB in a modern building, a 10 minute walk to the old town and the central market, 5 minutes to the next large grocery store.

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 10:20 PM

Having spent time in both, my preference would be Lagos. The scenery is more dramatic and the beaches to the west on the Rota Vicentina are spectacular.
From there you can visit the castle in Silves, walk a bit of the Rota Vicentina about Sagres, take a boat ride to see the cliff rock formations, weather permitting, go to the rainy and windswept "end of the earth" of Prince Henry the Navigator fame at Cabo São Vicente (the lighthouse itself is currently closed) but the sunset views from there or from the Sagres Fortaleza are memorable (although cold and wet).
Vila do Bispo is the goose barnacle (percebes) capital, so you could try this delicacy at one of the rustic tascas there if your dates are the beginning of September. On the first weekend of September there's a percebes festival there, then after that, I believe, the percebes season ends.

Last edited by Maribel; Dec 17th, 2023 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 03:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Lagos, Tavira is OK, but for all the reasons that Maribel mentions, Lagos would be my firm favourite. We've stayed there several times and thoroughly enjoyed each trip for its choice of hotels and restaurants to enjoy once the sightseeing is done. Lagos's position on the coast is wonderful and well worth the time spent there.