Search

Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Pay

My grandson is doing a several country summer tour. Best type of payment, CC, Apple touch, etc.?
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:45 AM
J62

On a recent trip to the NL a local told me he doesn't carry any cash at all....everything is paid by tap to pay (card or phone) - even for small purchases on the order of 1-2 euros. I only used cash for food trucks, but even they all took tap to pay cards or phone.

see if he can get a card that doesn't have international transaction fees.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was in London in October and same situation. Actually we never had any Euros at all. It certainly more convenient. Judy
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 08:12 AM

credit card will do the trick. Mastercard or Visa though. Amex is not widely accepted in tNL.

However, be sure to tell him that most Albert Heijn supermarkets don't accept credit card (not even in Amsterdam it seems), but that Jumbo does accept Mastercard and Amex.
Paying for trains and trams is now by tapping in (and out!) by credit card.

Also, if he's going to Germany: take out cash. Shops (and not a few of them) will indicate when you can only pay cash, not card.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 10:01 AM

I use Apple Pay linked to my credit cards every time I can. No-fee credit cards give the best exchange rate, and you don’t even have to take the wallet out of your pocket. With London buses and underground my contactless cards work better, and I keep the one I am using in a pocket separate from my wallet. Some European cities have a pickpocket problem, so be careful where you keep your wallet, not in your back pocket for sure, and front pockets aren’t safe either.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by judithann308
Thank you. I was in London in October and same situation. Actually we never had any Euros at all. It certainly more convenient. Judy
Those pesky € would have been a problem in . . . London

While contactless does work in a LOT of countries - that's not the case everywhere. You say he's visiting 'several' countries -- which ones specifically??
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 12:31 PM

If your grandson is going to Belgium or Germany, taxi drivers don't take card. Cash only. You can get cash by using a debit card in an ATM, or by ordering from your local bank. Take about €100 for emergencies.

Lavandula
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 01:12 PM
J62

Originally Posted by lavandula
If your grandson is going to Belgium or Germany, taxi drivers don't take card. Cash only. You can get cash by using a debit card in an ATM, or by ordering from your local bank. Take about €100 for emergencies.

Lavandula
The 3 taxis I used in Belgium last month all took cards. ymmv.

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 01:35 PM

Used Apple Pay (credit card and atm linked to my iwatch and phone) in London and Paris in May. Never got pounds or euros. Husband used business cc in restaurants at night since it was a business trip.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 03:04 PM

When I was in Brussels in January I took two cabs and both insisted on cash. Fortunately I had some, I don't know what they would have done if I had had none. And the cabs I took in Cologne and Wiesbaden were cash too. The Wiesbaden guy gave me a stern look when I wanted to pay by card and said cash only, so I got with the programme. So not for want of trying ...

Lavandula
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by J62
The 3 taxis I used in Belgium last month all took cards. ymmv.
The mileage is: better take cash if you want to take taxis, just to be sure.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 08:06 AM

I love Apple Pay. Just remember that tap has a limit, so paying for hotels or anything with a larger amount will require a card.

We did find last May that we required more cash in Turkiye than we have anywhere else in Europe. And the cash machines have a terrible rate, mostly converting from CAD to USD to Turkish Lire, plus a large percentage tack on for a transaction fee. If anyone knows a way around this dilemma, please advise, as we are thinking to go back to Turkiye next year.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by menachem
credit card will do the trick. Mastercard or Visa though. Amex is not widely accepted in tNL.

However, be sure to tell him that most Albert Heijn supermarkets don't accept credit card (not even in Amsterdam it seems), but that Jumbo does accept Mastercard and Amex.
Paying for trains and trams is now by tapping in (and out!) by credit card.

Also, if he's going to Germany: take out cash. Shops (and not a few of them) will indicate when you can only pay cash, not card.
is Discover Card excepted in most places London, Scotland and Ireland?
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by luvmy3poms
is Discover Card excepted in most places London, Scotland and Ireland?

Discover isn't an option in most places. Used to be strictly a North America thing but now it is accepted in a few places but it is very rare and mostly just in international chain hotels, etc. You won't see a Discover logo almost anywhere. I never take my Discover to the UK/Europe.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Hey, you helped us out a lot for our London trip. My daughter and I had a magnificent time. Fodors friendships scan the globe. She used her ApplePay watch everywhere we went. I'm not fan of the large face on my wrist but used my Capital One Card where I had a lot of travel miles so saved a good bit when I got home. They simply place a credit on your card. Now she wants to go to Rome (my favorite place).cThank you.
Judy
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Discover isn't an option in most places. Used to be strictly a North America thing but now it is accepted in a few places but it is very rare and mostly just in international chain hotels, etc. You won't see a Discover logo almost anywhere. I never take my Discover to the UK/Europe.
thank you, that’s good to know as I was going to take it as my backup card.