Using Contactless Pay with Apple Pay in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We're planning on using Apple Pay as our Contactless means of paying for transportation while in London. I'm not clear on how this will work if we use the same credit card on 2 iPhones. My husband and I have our own iPhones but would be using the same credit card on Apple Pay. Will that work in order to take advantage of the daily/weeklly topping? Or do we need to have each iphone connected to separate credit cards? I am confused!

I've been googling around and the best article I have found is from Wired when the service first started.
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/apple...tube-uk-launch

Any insights would b greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...On-this-page-1

Doesn't address two phones using same CC, but it does say that a phone and watch would be treated as separate payment methods as would be phone and the CC the phone is linked to.

Guess it's one of those things that you have to "suck it and see"
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 01:38 PM

May not benefit from daily or weekly capping issues alarm bells for me.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm...that's my concern how it "reads" different devices with the same credit card. Devices have identifying features and we would each be tapping in & out. I thought the examples here were using different devices on the way in and out. But you may be correct. Probably should just put different cards on each of our iPhones.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 01:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Too much angst . . . "will it work, won't it work, what if we use the same/different devises" -- just get Oyster cards. Could not be easier.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Not angst for me -- I'm curious about how it works. I love technology.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 03:37 PM

You may love technology but the people behind you in queue may be less than thrilled:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alls-apple-pay
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Yes, please do report back to us on how well in works for London Transport.

One of the grocery stores I frequent says ApplePay is the fastest way to pay.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

NYSE- I thought of that as an issue. They'd run you over where I live��.

Kathie- I certainly will.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 06:12 PM

Kathie, the grocery store is comparing Apple Pay to debit cards, cash and checks.
In the London Underground, the Oyster card has been shown to be faster.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:53 PM

The daily capping only works if you use the same card. If the system recognizes two different cards to charge, you could end up paying double.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:19 AM

I've used it on the underground, and it is quick if you double click to call up the card before getting to the turnstile. Be sure to do it again when <b>getting off</b>, or you will be charged the maximum fare. I would use the same device for both getting on and getting off the tube.

Apple Pay can be used at any POS that takes contactless payments, but is limited to charges of £30 or less in my experience.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

To be clear it's my husband and me. We each have an iPhone that is linked to the same credit card. So it's 2 devices for 2 different people, but one credit card. We can always link one of us to another credit card, but I am curious about this.

Heimdall -- yes, I figured I would set it up as I approached the turnstile which I figured would then be quick to go thru. It's getting the Apple Pay ready that can take a few seconds. Somemtimes it works immediately and sometimes I need to "mess" with it to bring it up. That would be annoying to follks behind me. In the US I havent noticed any limit on the sales, but I don't use it a whole lot.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 06:25 AM

Yestravel, maybe your trip has come & gone, but this article does answer your original question re two devices, one credit account:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/apple...tube-uk-launch

Bottom line, you will be (or were!) fine.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We will be in London in a few days. As it turns out I think we will get the 2 for 1 7 day travel card. Everywhere we have been people use the contactless card and many use Apple Pay.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:38 AM

One payment for travelcards certainly reduces the risk of extra foreign exchange charges.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:53 AM

No, for two people in London staying at least 4-5 days, only the paper travelcards make sense because all the contactless methods are useless for the 2for1 offers. At the Churchill War Rooms and Tower alone, the 2for1 nets 47 GBP savings.

Make sure you do this right - passport-sized photos, get the travelcard at a mainline national rail station (Euston, St Pancras, Victoria, etc), bring your preprinted vouchers (you don't get the discounts without the vouchers), don't book and pay online.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:15 AM

Wow, that's a really antiquated and time-consuming system, but I am noting it for future use. Why aren't the same sorts of things offered via Apple Pay? Once people get the hang of it, contactless pay is awesome and fast.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I think we got it. Will purchase at King Cross train station when we arrive from Edinburgh. One article I read said even without using the vouchers for 2 for 1 sites, One comes out ahead compared to the Oyster card after 5 days.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM

NewBe, because this is meant to be an incentive for people who travel by train from outside of London for a visit. Not for Londoners who use contactless or oyster cards.

For a 7-day travel pass nothing beats contactless payment. It caps at a maximum so you don't pay more than you would for a 7-day card. But if you want the 2for1 deals you need the paper card from a rail station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -