tauk tours to Italy

Dec 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

tauk tours to Italy

Planning my first trip to Italy. Being a first timer,should I go with a tour. Please advise on Tauk tours or any other tour group.Is April and May ideal time to travel?
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I would not take an organized tour. Be a traveler not a tourist. Why be subjected to going where you are told, and restricted on time frames. I have always traveled independently. Purchase guidebooks. I use Steve's, Frommer's, and Lonely Planet. Each gives a different perspective on the same sights.
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Our first trip to Italy (outside North America for that matter) was in 2003 - and we planned it ourselves with the help of guide books and the internet. If it wasn't everything it could have been because of our lack of experience, you can't convince me. I still play over in my mind each day and each city/town. It was perfect! Only you know what interests you, and some of the best moments come when you happen on something that wasn't in "the plan" - Caserta, Verona, Trento, to name a few. Who knew!
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM

If you would really be more comfortable taking a tour Tauk is one of the best (and one of the most expensive - but with tour you get what you pay for if you're lucky). Elderly friends of my parents have used then frequently and like the hotel choice/central locations and dining chioces.

But - if you're the least bit adventurous you can probably do better by planning your own trip - saving money and seeing exactly what YOU want.
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I think you mean Tauck and they are the best if you want to pay someone else to make decisions for you and charge you a 30% premium for doing so.
May is a good time but you can do it yourself if you spend the time.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM

We took Tauck's Classic Italy tour in May a few years ago and thought it was great.
Yes, a Tauck tour is expensive, but what you get for your money is:
Staying in a combination of great hotels very centrally located in the cities and in unique and fun hotels and resorts in the countryside.
Delicious lunches and dinners, and with many of them you choose from a menu -- everyone on the tour is not stuck with rubber chicken.
Knowledgeable, caring tour directors.
Someone else doing all of the driving.
Never having to worry about getting tickets or waiting in line to get into the most popular art galleries and other attractions.
Some free time in the major cities to see what you want or to shop on your own.
Meeting interesting people from all over the United States and sometimes from other countries as well.
Seeing far more in the duration of the tour than you would have been able to see on your own.
Compare other tours carefully. Years ago we took a Globus tour that was supposed to include a stay in Venice. Actually,we stayed in Mestre, which is a boat or train ride away. We also stayed miles from central Rome. Never again.
We have taken Tauck tours to Italy, southern France, Great Britain, and Eastern Canada, and are taking a tour to Portugal and southern Spain this spring.
We think Tauck is worth the money (and no, I have no affiliation with the company or anyone in it).

Jan 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I agree that Tauck would be worth it if you want to take a tour. Some years ago I did a Tauck tour to Western Canada and also Eastern Canada, and the cost was well worth it. You get what you pay for with them. I have preferred traveling independently for many years now, but certainly would use Tauck when I reach the point of wanting (and needing!) "help" with my travels. They have a very nice clientele (mostly middle-aged, fairly affluent people. Not a young group by any means.

And yes, April and May (especially May), is ideal. I've also enjoyed traveling to Europe in October, I'm from South Florida and love to get some cool Fall weather about that time.
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Tauck is a different breed of tour company. You don't get herded around like your usual bus tour. This would not be a bad option.

I'd suggest this variation. Get to your initial destination (where the tour departs from) a few days early. Spend that time to get over jetlag and do your own exploring.

Then join the tour ... and afterwards, spend a few more days in a different destination. I think the combination of foreign independent trave + tour can be a really good one.

One other thing to consider... if you're active and like hiking or biking, you might look at some of the companies doing Active Vacations. I'd be happy to make some recomendations.