Reload this Page >

Tate Modern/Beatles/Ripper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 03:46 AM
terry

I'm considering visiting the Matisse/Picasso exhibit at the Tate Modern and taking one of the Beatles walking tours, as well at the Jack the Ripper Tour (both through London Walking Tours).<BR><BR>Has anyone done any of these things? Were the worth the time/money?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Faith

When I went to London last year, a group of friends decided not to take the Beatle tour but instead go it ourselves. We found where the Beatles played their last concert (rooftop concert) and walked to Abbey Road from there. Granted, it was a very long walk (the way we went anyway)..so be warned. It was a good way to see the city without being rushed. Hope that helps.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:27 AM
terry

thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:32 AM
flygirl

Terry - Jack the Ripper tour with Donald Rumbelow is amazing.<BR><BR>I was bored by the Beatles tour and left half way through. (yes I love the Beatles). Richard the Beatles expert notwithstanding.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Grasshopper

I took the Jack the Ripper walk 4 years ago and it was wonderful; a foggy night, excellent guide, 15 people. A friend of mine took it this month and said there were 150 people, too crowded to hear much and the neighborhood had become so fed up with the crowds that they went "close to, but not right to" the places we went. Based on his feedback, I wouldn't do it again.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Sonney

Tate Modern is very nice. We planned our day so when we arrived we went to the top, had lunch (with a glass of wine) and toured down to the first floor. Lots of people for lunch but the line moved quite nicely, good view of London Town while waiting in line, and the food was quite good. The exhibits were well done and not at all crowded. We a) enjoyed it a lot, and b) will do a similar trip on our next visit. Oop's forgot to say you are very close to the Globe (same side of the river) which was interesting also.