Tarragona In January

Nov 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Tarragona In January

Has anyone been to Cambrils, Spain (near Tarragona)? What would the vacation experience be like there in late January? Would daytrips to Barcelona via train or bus be an easy possibility?
Nov 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM

I haven't been since 2005, but Cambrils was more fishing village along the coast area then. Salou, in between Tarragona and Cambrils has a wide beach (hotels/businesses are across the street from the beach), but is a lot of pubs and fish and chips places as it attracts a lot of British. Of course, January wouldn't be beach weather. I would think you would find more to do in Tarragona at that time of year.
Nov 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM

If not for the sea there is nothing to do in Cambrils (or any resort towns in this area for that matter) in the winter (expect may be spending in pubs as other poster noted). Salou is bigger and got more pubs. Weather is not that great. There is train from Salou to Barcelona and also bus service to Barcelona run by Plana schedule here http://www.itenewebs.com/autocarespl...oducto=261&i=3

Old town of Tarragona (Roman ruins, etc) is worth a visit; you can take bus to get there.
Nov 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Cambrils and the Costa Dorada aren't a year-round destination and the tourist season is pretty limited from Easter to October. In January, a lot of places are closed, and while there are residents and businesses that cater to them, it will be quiet.
If you have a choice of destinations in January, I would choose further south, such as Costa Blanca or Costa del Sol, where tourist season continues through the year (though quieter in January - popular with senior citizens escaping the cold weather in Northern Europe including UK).
Nov 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the good information. It is exactly what I was looking for.