Search

Tarbet Ferry?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarbet Ferry?

I'll be driving north from Dingle to County Clare to see the Cliffs of Moher. I can either go around the River Shannon via Limerick or straight north over the river using the Tarbert Ferry. I understand that it will take about the same time either way.

My question is whether there is any particular reason to use one route over the other.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM

I would take the ferry and avoid going thru Limerick. On your way to the Cliffs, I would go thru Kilkee -- if you have time take the scenic route to the Loop Head lighthouse, stopping by to see the Bridges of Ross. Then go thru Lahinch on your way to the Cliffs, maybe stopping off there for lunch.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM

No particular reason to take the ferry unless you came down
N-21 to Tralee when you went to Dingle: then you will be backtracking unless you take the ferry to Killimer (Kil-eye-mur). You also miss the Great new (2001?) Greg Norman-designed Golf course near Kilkee.

Either way, you would probably go thru Lahinch: Worth a stop! I've eaten at a Pub and at a semi fast food place in Lahinch. I would definitely suggest you wait until you get to Doolin and have lunch at what used to be Gus O'Connor's (Gus passed away in April, 2003, RIP).
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Ned's point is well placed. To get a really good answer, we would need to know a lot more about your itinerary pre and post- Dingle.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

OK. I'll be driving to Killarney to Dingle for a few days. Then we'll be driving from Dingle and ending up in a hotel near Shannon airport. I'd like to see as much of Clare as possible in one day.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:06 AM

From Dingle, take the ferry. You can pretty much do it all in one day.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I echo Budman. Take the Ferry - there's no reason to drive around and go thru Limerick.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I'm going to Ireland in April and wanting to go from Dingle towards Shannon airport too...I'll be in Dingle Thursday night and need to get to Shannon airport by Saturday 1pm flight (but need to return rental car, etc)...

If you take the Ferry...where do you leave from (coming from Dingle) and what would be the best location to end up (trying to ultimately end up near Shannon airport for Friday night)
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I would leave Dingle Friday AM, head for Tarbert by way of Tralee, take the ferry over to Killimer, stop by Kilkee, Lahinch, Cliffs of Moher, and on to Bunratty. Some last minute shopping, and night in Bunratty.

Saturday morning, turn in rental car and finish up shopping at the duty free shop in the airport.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Imhornet AND hmoore2142: To maximize sightseeing in Clare, take the ferry. It departs from Tarbert and drops you in Killimer. From Killimer, head out to the coast and work your way up to the Cliffs and Doolin. From there, depending upon your timing and preference, you can head northwest into the Burren before turning back south to Ennis, or just head east to Ennis and spend the evening in Bunratty.

Time of year dictates the crossing times. You might want to check ahead, it would be a drag to arrive just as the ferry is pulling out and have to just sit and wait until it returns. Can't think of the website offhand, but if you do a search for Irish Ferrys, you can find it easily enough.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:22 PM

agree with bubman take the ferry - took same trip you are doing couple months ago and used ferry - budman also right - do loophead if you have timbob
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Killimer/Tarbert ferry schedules:

http://www.shannonferries.com/timetable/