C hauffeur from Shannon to Dingle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are renting a car at Shannon on Sep. 9. I am concerned about the five hour drive to Dingle what with jet-lag, left side of the road, etc. Are there any agencies that provide licensed chauffeurs? Our trip would be one way as we would be able to drive for the rest of our trip. Any idea on cost would also be helpful.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:12 AM

Hi Powell:

Just saw your note. The drive to Dingle is probably a bit less than four hours, but you are right to be a a little concerned. None-the-less, a chauffeur would be an unnecessary expense unless price is absolutely no object to you.

What you should do is merely take your time. Schedule many stops along the way and plan not to drive for more than an hour or so without a break. If you get tired, get out of the car and walk around, or worse case scenario, pull over and take a nap. We did that once in England and though it was kind of a drag, it saved our lives. There are towns along the way to stop in, the most popular being Adare, which some people complain is too touristy cutsy for them, but is certainly worth a short stop for a quick pick me up.

Jet lag hates exercise and sunlight, so get as much of those as you can.

Bill
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:38 AM

We're doing the same drive. Off the plane at Shannon on to Dingle. Would it save any time or at least some driving to take the ferry?
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:03 PM

Aussie:

I don't think it really saves time to take the ferry if you are headed from Shannon to Dingle, but some of the locals swear by it. You have to time it just right if you are going to catch it, though it runs every 30 minutes in the summer.

Michelin, lists the ferry as 13 miles shorter and about 30 minutes longer. They also only list the ferry link as a 20 minute trip which only covers the time on the ferry, not the time waiting to get on. Though I've never timed it, personal experience leads me to believe that the Limerick route is shorter.

The good news about the Limerick route as you head towards Dingle is that you don't actually go through Limerick, but around it. If I remember correctly (and it's been more than a year since I went that way), you follow the signs for Cork and/or Killarney.

The one vote for the ferry is that, though slower, you'll be out of the car and standing on the observation deck which will wake you up instantly. It is usually pretty brisk up there, even on a "warm" day. It's also a bit more scenic.

Bill
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:07 PM

Drive it, you will adjust very fast. Don't worry about traffic, the traffic will help remind you to drive on the left. You will have more problems when you turn on to a road and there is no other cars to remind you to get in the left lane.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:48 PM

its easy...i did it in march...just go slow and stay off the tourist routes on the first day...i.e. ring of kerry or dingle pennsular...you will do fine...have some breakfast as you leave shannon--there is a new mcdonalds just outside the airport and across the street a small mall---stop for some coffee, etc and that will get you off to a good start....you will be there for lunch and an afternoon of relaxation