Search

Tapas restaurants in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapas restaurants in Madrid

Hi there,
I have a night to enjoy tapas in Madrid and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. My mouth is watering at the thought!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM

Sure! But you only have ONE NIGHT?!!?!? If so, that's a true shame.

If you're in Madrid during the nicer months, you could start at the Plaza Santa Ana and going door-to-door, ordering just a simple "caña" (small glass of beer) and waiting for them to give you a free tapa. If you're really hungry, you could also order (and pay for) larger portions called "raciones".

From Plaza Santa Ana, dart your way towards Puerta del Sol where you'll find dozens of bars serving beer and free tapas, usually consisting of a small plate of olives, potato chips, maybe a small portion of paella, sausages, or any other number of possibilities.

Have a GRRRREAT time! I know you will.

Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:16 AM

"La Ardosa" is a small, tiled bar, founded in 1892, with a high ceiling, only a few tables and lots of guests standing up. Anyone wishing to get to the dining room has to stoop down and slip through under the bar.
Recommendations: Salmorejo (a thick gazpacho), tortilla, croquetas.
Adress: Calle Colon # 13. Nearest metro stop: Tribunal.
www.laardosa.com/

"Bodegas Ricla" is a classical tavern in old Madrid. The green signature doors open into a small venue, which is almost always packed. The clientele stands around chatting over a glass of wine (moscatel, Cariñena, Málaga, Moriles) or vermouth on tap.
Tapas are also traditional, and the "canapé de bacalao" (smoked cod in olive oil) is the main speciality.
Adress: Calle Cuchilleros 6. Nearest metro stops: Sol, Tirso de Molina & La Latina.
http://www.theartwolf.com/artists/to...egas-Ricla.jpg

"Bodegas Rosell" is located next to Atocha Station. The façade pays tribute to the colourful tiles that once were the trademark of this winery in Madrid.
Manolo Rosell, one highly-regarded sommelier, runs the venue and the winery. Cod is one of the staple dishes on the menu, with an offer that includes a range of delicacies: brandade, croquettes (Cabrales cheese, cod and ham), its famous Spanish omelette (tortilla) and a section devoted to foie. Good cellar. Reservations are recommended.
Adress: Calle General Lacy # 14. Nearest metro stops: Palos de la Frontera & Atocha.
http://artedemadrid.files.wordpress....s-grallacy.jpg

"Taberna Angel Sierra". Exactly in Chueca square, the heart of one of the most avant-garde areas in Madrid, you can find this old-style tavern which sends you back to the past -more than a century ago- in the very moment you enter the place. It is usually crowded, even during tapas 'rush hours', when you can see people having a beer or their famous tap Reus vermouth on the street, just next to the door, when the weather is good. Pleasant, young and modern ambience. Anchovy and "escabeche" (pickled tuna) are some of the suggestions to have together with drinks. The hot spot in the area.
Metro stop: Chueca
http://m1.11870.com/multimedia/pro/t...246532c72.jpeg

"Almendro 13" is one of the best options for eating tapas in the Cava Baja area, where you can drink mainly sherry from Jerez and sample their great bread rolls with a wide variety of fillings.
Orders are placed at the serving hatch and a small bell rings when the food is ready. The place is often so packed that guests sit outside on the bonnets of parked cars.
Adress: Calle del Almendro # 13. Nearest metro stop: La Latina
http://juancato.com/madrid/fachadas/almendro.jpg

"Stop Madrid". Locals of all ages chat over drinks and tapas at this haven of old charm in fashionable Chueca. While wine bottles are racked high to the ceiling on wooden shelves like library books.
Depending on the night you go and at what time you'll find two different bars in this small establishment. One night you may not be able to find a seat and on another you'll have the place almost to yourself. During the week is the best time to go if you're looking to have a nice bottle of wine with some tapas. If you're in the mood for more of a crowd definitely stop by Stop Madrid on the weekends. The bar is a typical Spanish style Taberna; they have a wide variety of wines by the bottle and by the glass. If you don't know what to order ask the waitors as they are friendly and very knowledgable.
Adress: Calle Hortaleza # 11. Nearest metro stop: Gran Via.
http://m1.11870.com/multimedia/image...7eb6f964e.jpeg

"El Quinto Vino" is a great tapas restaurant: croquettes, empanadillas (pasty), salmorejo (a thicker gazpacho), garbanzos con gambas (chickpeas with prawns), pisto (ratatouille), huevos estrellaos (scrambled eggs), pimientos del piquillo (small red peppers)… Recommended dessert: flan de limon (lemon creme caramel). Also, this restaurant offers a choice of 350 wine labels.
Adress: Calle Hernani # 48. Nearest metro stops: Cuatro Caminos & Nuevos Ministerios.
http://www.elquintovino.com/website/barra/c_barra.html
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Revulgo do you have a rec for something near to Plaza de España or by the Husa Princesa?
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Wow revulgo, thanks! I'll be in Madrid for 2 nights in Sept and between these recs and Maribel's I think I'm set.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM

amsdom,
Some suggestion near Husa Princesa:
"Venta de Don Jaime" at Calle Alberto Aguilera 36. Recommendations: adobo (marinated fish), chopitos (deep fried baby cuttlefish) and fino (chilled dry sherry).
"Manolo" at Calle Princesa 83. Recommendations: tapa de calamares en su tinta (squid cooked in their ink), tapa de callos (pork tripe cooked with chillies) and tapa de champiñon (grilled mushrooms).
"El Tera" at Calle Benito Gutierrez 14. They serve one "aperitivo" (small tapa for free) with every glass of beer or wine.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you, I so appreciate it....FYI, I am spending 25 days in Morocco and just have an overnight in Madrid due to routing. I am glad as we are getting slammed with the Euro...
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Great suggestions -thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks Revulgo!!!! I think I have saved every single one of your helpful posts.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM

If I am going to one of these on the list, do I have to call ahead, if it is a Friday night, or can I just wanter in?
Also, what is the best hour to go? 9PM? 10PM?
Thanks
Jess
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Jess, locals go from 8pm onwards.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:55 AM

In addition:
"Casa Julio". Tourists love celebrity allure, after all, it’s a great way to turn a bar into a tourist attraction. In an area known as Malasaña, there is a small, unsuspecting "old guy's bar" which has been dubbed “The U2 Tavern”. Yes, as in the band.
In 2003, as the Irish rockers were passing through town looking for a place for a photo shoot, they stumbled across Casa Julio on calle Madera 37. While the photographer fell in love with the scenery, the band fell in love with the delicious croquettes prepared by the grandmotherly owner, Maria Teresa, who was absolutely delighted by the group, and especially by Bono who ended up calling her “Mamá.”
Since then nothing has changed at Casa Julio save for the clientele. These days scores of young people stop by to check out the “U2 Tavern” and watch a photo of U2, taken during the Casa Julio photo shoot, which hangs from a column in the middle of the room. The pilgrimage are increasing every day.
Adress: Calle de la Madera # 37. Nearest metro stops: Noviciado or Tribunal
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aUDn-Dw_hY...casa_julio.jpg
http://www.u2miracle.com/noticias/20...asa-julio.jpeg
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Just walk in on weekends? Call ahead or what?
I'll be alone, - mainly looking for good food and drink - not just a pub crawl - at least not every night.
Jess
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Just walk in as any bar in any day.