Search

Croatia in October - which one location for a 2 weeks stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia in October - which one location for a 2 weeks stay

Hi all,

We're fortunate to be able to take a 4-week vacation in October.

After much thought and various scenarios, we're planning to spend all 4 weeks in Croatia. I’m still working out the itinerary, but would like to spend 2 of the 4 weeks relaxing in one quiet location and getting a feel for the daily life. I know the tourist season is quieting down in October for the smaller places, and many restaurants are closing for the winter.

Is there a location you’d recommend at that time for a 2 weeks stay? And I’d love to hear any ideas for specific rentals if you have them.

It’ll just be the two of us in our early 30s. We’d ideally like to find a rental apartment or villa in a quiet area, close to the water (I know it will like to too cold to swim), but in walking distance to a market as well as a restaurant or two.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM

Korcula would be a good choice, as would Trogir.
If you want extreme quiet, then Lastovo or Vis. I'd do one week though.
I hope you'll post about your trip--especially to less visited parts of the country, good luck!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM

Korcula is very nice, but I think you might get a bit bored if there for 2 weeks. There is really nothing to do, especially if you have some rain or cooler weather. In October, I think Dubrovnik would be a great city to spend a couple of weeks in. There are lots of nice cafes, museums, and sites to see, even if the weather is not great.

Another completely different option would be to go to Istria. October is a great time to be there and it has a more Italian feel with great food & wine and beautiful countryside.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Oh, Istria..good idea
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Entry-exit points are very important when planning an itinerary for Croatia, get some good flights and build from there.
If you want a list of apartments-hotels that we have used, you can Email me. [email protected]
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Ok, we all know I am partial to Istria. But with 2 weeks, if you really want to experience Croatia you can travel a bit farther without the hassles of summer traffic and crowds. Jadrolinija has a nice, slow ferry from Rijeka that stops throughout the islands and goes down to Dubrovnik....maybe you even visit the Bay of Kotor on day.
If you are the type, you can keep your plans loose and follow the sunshine [October can be great, but also unpredictable].