Taormina to Positano to Rome

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taormina to Positano to Rome

I am planning a trip from Taormina to Positano spending 3 days in Positano and on to Rome.

Right now I am planning on taking train from Salerno and then either hiring a car or taking the ferry to Positano. From Positano I am planning on hiing a car to Naples and then taking the train to Rome.

Can anyone give me any feedback on which would be quicker from Salerno to Positano a car or the ferry or if someone could suggest a better route. I've looked at the links to the Salerno Ferry schedule posted by several other people and I can't seem to figure out the schedule from Salerno to Positano. The earliest I would be able to arrive in Salerno would be 3:39 PM; would that be too late for a ferry?

Also I would like to spend a day visting Pompei; would it be better to hire a driver for the day and do a stop their on the way to Naples or simply do a day trip from Positano. Thanks for any advise.

Andrew
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Hi Andrew - Salerno-Positano is normally quicker by boat.

By ferry it takes 70 mins. Fare: € 8.

By road (- taxi or bus) it takes approx 2 hrs - depending on traffic.

Salerno-Positano ferry departures (- on the current timetable, valid until 15 Sept) are at:

08.40 - 09.40 - 10.40 - 11.40 - 14.10 - 15.30 - 17.15

[Departures are from Piazza della Concordia jetty in Salerno - 5 mins walk from Salerno station].

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

If you prefer a Salerno-Positano limo/taxi transfer, expect to pay € 150-200.

Alternatively by bus it will cost you approx € 4.
Bus timetables can be found on:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...COCOSTIERA.pdf

Re Pompeii:

It's easy enough to do a day-trip to Pompeii from Positano by public transport - see below *

If you go by car, the going rate is approx € 150 for a half-day trip, € 300 for a full-day.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

* POMPEII FROM POSITANO - by public transport:

From Positano take the SITA Sorrento bus, and get off at META station (- 25 mins).

[Meta is the nearest station to Positano on the Circumvesuviana line - the bus stops at Meta station].

From META it's 25 mins on the train to Pompeii Scavi.

This is the quickest public transport option on the outward journey. It will normally save 30 minutes over going via Sorrento ...

For the return journey, however, it is advisable to return by train to SORRENTO instead of Meta. This is because the Positano bus starts from Sorrento station and usually fills up there - so that way you're sure of a seat.

[Get bus tickets in advance - and
N.B VALIDATE them on boarding]
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Steve, I have a similar transportation question, maybe you, or someone, can help with. We will be in Positano Sept. 19-21. I was hoping to take the ferry to Salerno and then the train to Rome on the 19th. I am trying to figure out the timing. Do you have any idea of how the schedule changes after Sept. 15? Do I need to book the ferry tickets in advance? How about the train tickets?

I have another question -- earlier in the trip we will be going to Sorrento from Rome. We would like to stop at Pompeii enroute. Do we buy a ticket to Pompeii and another to Sorrento after our visit? Or do we just buy tickets to Sorrento and get off for a couple hours?

Do you recommend this, or should we take the ferry to Sorrento from Naples?
Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Hi DH - An inexpensive option would be to take the Positano-Rome bus (- operator: Marozzi).

Dep 16.10 Positano (Bar Internazionale - Chiesa Nuova)
Arr. Rome (- Roma Tiburtina)
Fare: € 20

If you prefer the ferry/train option via Salerno, I believe the 10.00 a.m Positano-Salerno ferry normally still runs after the timetables change, continuing into October.

For Salerno-Rome train timetables/fares see:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

'We would like to stop at Pompeii enroute. Do we buy a ticket to Pompeii and another to Sorrento after our visit? Or do we just buy tickets to Sorrento and get off for a couple hours?'

Assuming you are travelling by train (- i.e Circumvesuviana from Naples) Plan A applies - i.e. separate tickets Naples-Pompeii and Pompeii-Sorrento.

Alternatively you could use the afore-mentioned Marozzi bus Rome-Pompeii (- dep. 07.00 Rome Tiburtina/ journey time: 3 hrs) - and continue by train afterwards to Sorrento.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM

P.S Marozzi link:

http://www.marozzivt.it/
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks Steve, I will look into those options. I hadn't considered the bus. Is the bus crowded? Comfortable?
Do you need advance tickets? Thanks again!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I haven't used the bus, DH - but I've seen it several times picking up in Positano en route to Rome.

It looks modern and comfortable, and I'd have no reservations about using it. Scheduled arrival time in Rome is 21.00.

Yes, you do need to book in advance.

Hope this helps ...

Steve