One last time: help with transportation from Positano to Pompeii

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi .... I have read and reread all the posts and can't decide. We (6) are staying outside Positano in the small village of Nocelle. We would like to spend the day at Pompeii/Herculaneum. Seems the concensus is bus/train versus car hire? We will sign up with a guide once there. I am looking for any comments on the day.
Many thanks .....
jane
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM

You can take the Sita bus to Sorrento and then take the commuter train from there to Pompeii.

If you would like you could hire a driver to take you and either wait for you or you could take the train and bus back to Nocelle.

I love Nocelle, beautiful views and a very very good restaurant!!
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Or, instead of the SITA bus, which, because of the narrow roads, will often have to wait in the road for awhile, and can get very packed-you can take the lovely ferry from Positano to Sorrento and then catch the train there in Sorrento city center. Believe me, the ferry boat is fantastic-there's nothing like that view from the boat as you go cruising into the Sorrento harbour-love it!
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:17 PM

That is a great idea.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Note that the town and station in Sorrento are on top of the cliffs. If you arrive by boat, you need to climb flights of steps or take a bus from the harbour to the railway station.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM

that's what I was going to say ;-) I think it is quicker/easier to take the bus to the train (there is a stop right in front of the train station)...however, if you do take the ferry, there is a local (orange) bus that you can take up the big hill in Sorrento.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM

There's actually NO comparison between that under-air-conditioned SITA bus (which I took one-way, one time, as they picked up pax along the way-and we had to wait until a truck could unload before we could pass-never again!) and the ferry. The ferry is beautiful, it makes you feel you are part of "la dolce vita" on the Amalfi Coast-loved it, would take the ferry back and forth just for the ride alone-particularly at sunset. And the cliffs of Sorrento, as you are coming in by boat, with the grand hotels spilling down over the cliffside, look magnificent. After which, you just climb on the orange bus there at the marina and it will deposit you right by the train station.
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM

It really depends on the time of year - the ferry to/from Positano does not run year-round and the bus does and is very frequent. (and, a member of my family gets a bit sea-sick when the water's choppy...and, for some reason, is just fine on the bus) - just personal preference.
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Also, sometimes the buses are nearly empty! I have ridden them many times over the years. Some are nicer than others.

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Well, in high season I would avoid the Sita buses-and high season runs through October. This is what "Wikitravel" Positano says about the SITA buses:

By bus: Take the Sita bus from Sorrento or Salerno (a bit longer, but nice!). From Sorrento sit next to a window on the right hand side for the best views. The bus drops you at the top of the town. You must walk, taxi, or bus to your hotel. During the peak season (starting in late April) this bus can get very crowded. You may have to wait a couple hours and fight your way onto a bus to get back."

The ferries from Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi run from late April through October. The ferry schedule is found at www.metrodelmare.com
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Another consideration is that when the buses are full they just skip the stops unless someone is getting off. I have had many of them pass me by after I have obdiently waited for their scheduled appearance.

It is the Positano bus system that goes up to Nocelle. The SITA stops in Positano.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM

VERY good to point out - this is not just the SITA bus on the Amalfi coast - this is pretty much all buses all over Italy...you need to flag them down usually or they will, many times, not stop even if it is a scheduled stop (!)

p.s. I have been on the Amalfi coast SITA bus more times than I can count and I have never had to stand or wait for another bus...I do show up early enough though to get a seat and don't try to just hop on at the scheduled departure - even in August (actually, most evenings going home last August, we were one of the only ones on the bus from Amalfi to Salerno). I do usually get on in Salerno or Amalfi and not Sorrento (and when I have gotten on in Sorrento, it has been a bit more crowded) but I think, Girlspytravel, you had rotten luck really - most of the buses I've been on had good A/C and were very pleasant - only a handful are old and really yucky.

nothing at ALL against the ferry -it is a pretty ride and fun but I don't rely on it for "normal" transportation - the schedule from Positano may or may no fit your schedule - they really are fairly limited.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM

We booked a 1/2 day tour from Positano, which was very reasonable. 43E each included pick up at the bottom of our steps, drive in a small van to Amalfi, bus from Amalfi to Pompeii with a guide, and guide at Pompeii.

The only thing we had to pay in addition was the 12E entrance fee.

If you are interested, I can find out who the tour was booked through, as our on-site agent did it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the response. I checked into the ferry from Positano to Sorrent and departure is 10:30 am which is a little late ..... good idea though. Wanderer1 ... I would love to hear from you about your Pompeii tour details especially contacts. My e-mail is [email protected] I also read your recent trip report. My husband and I are staying at LaMinerva so I noted your suggestions. Seems a very similar trip and can't wait!
Thank you ....
jane
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Hi Calvados - Here's a tour company which does Pompeii excursions:

http://www.touringpoint.it/excursions-2008.pdf

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Calvados -
I have an email in to our contact regarding this the tour we took and will get back to you as soon as I hear.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Wanderer - I would also be interested in that Pompei information, so please post here if you get an answer!

Thanks!