l'Hotel d'Orsay-Paris

Search

l'Hotel d'Orsay-Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l'Hotel d'Orsay-Paris

Want to know if anyone has stayed at this hotel? It appears to be right in the center of the museum district and within walking distance to all the major museums. Any problems staying in this area? Would we find cafes amd markets in this area? pastry and crepe shops?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:29 AM

If you are spealing of the one on rue de Lille, it's a perfect location. You can walk to the Rodin, Louvre, D'Orsay, Tuileries, Notre dame, etc. There are excellent restaurants in just about any direction you walk. Lots of cafes along rue Jacob and the surrounding streets, pharmacies, Lauderee and other pastry shops,tabacs , and it's very near St Germain des Pres and all the shops along the blvd.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Jody- thanks- have you stayed at this hotel? I would like to talk with someone who has stayed at this hotel as I have some questions regarding the rooms and the hotel itself that only someone who has stayed there can answer.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM

Haven't stayed there but have walked by it many times so know the location well.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:18 AM

Some really nice photos on their website:
http://www.paris-hotel-orsay.com/en/chambres.php
Also on Parisby.com:
http://www.parisby.com/orsay/pages/gallery.htm

It would be very difficult to find a location where there were no cafes, pastry and crepe shops... although creperies do tend to be concentrated around Montparnasse...

There is a way to find out exactly what businesses are located by/near your hotel.
Use the 'yellow pages' - www.pagesjaunes.fr
You can switch to english. You enter your hotel address and get that record up.
Then you click on Proximity. Enter a type of business, like "bakery" or "restaurant"
The website will then pinpoint those locations nearest the address. It also has street-side photos of most buildings.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM

this must be the mega-historic and mega-famous Hotel d'Orsay that occupied the front of the Orsay Museum?? When the museum was the Orsay train station (aka Gare d'Orleans i believe) it was the station hotel. There were some very famous meetings here i believe with DeGaulle and post war things.

Is this indeed the same hotel?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM

I doubt it since it's about 1 and 1/2 blocks away from the D'Orsay and is on rue de Lille
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

jody - thanks - i did think the famous Orsay Hotel was now a part of the famous Orsay Museum and not a hotel though a restaurant may still be there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:40 AM

billT,
We've stayed at the Hotel d'Orsay, which is the former Hotel Solferino on the rue de Lille just steps from the museum. We've liked very much two superior rooms, one street side with tiny walk out balcony and one facing the couryard (#18, I believe), both quite ample by Paris standards. In fact, the latter is pictured, bottom left, on the hotel web page at
www.esprit-de-france.com

It's very well reviewed in the Alistair Sawday Special Places to Stay Paris, which is how we found it. It's a lovely, well run property and a member of the Esprit de France group that also includes the Parc St. Severin in the 5th, the des Saints Peres in the 6th and the Mansart and Brighton on the Right Bank.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but the brk. room is on the main floor next to the parlor and attractive. There was also a complimentary coffee service in the parlor.

The superior rooms now go for 180 euros, but there are late July-Aug. and winter specials that bring the price down to 150. The standard doubles go for 170, with specials for 140, but we enjoyed the extra space of the superior room. Baths are spacious and have beautiful tiles.

We enjoyed the location very much, as the Louvre and Right Bank are easily accessible from the d'Orsay simply by crossing the foot bridge. It's an easy walk to Place Saint Germain, and we walked to all of our favorite restaurants in the Eiffel Tower area.

To save euros on our last trips, we did switch to the Varenne, a short walk away in the 7th, but we could go back to the d'Orsay easily if our dates coincided with their special rates. In fact, the Hotel d'Orsay and the Hotel de Varenne are our two favorite 7th arron. hotels.
We've also stayed happily at the much more expensive Madison and the Esprit St. Germain in the 6th.

We found the d'Orsay classy in an understated way, decorated with fine antiques, quiet and with superior rooms that are large by Paris standards.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel- how did you find the room size- so many rooms in Europe are tiny?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM

BillT,
The size of the superior rooms is quite ample by Paris standards. I did a great deal of research on this, and at the Madison, the Varenne and the d'Orsay we've been blessed with superior rooms that are spacious. We chose a "classic" room, the least expensive, at the Esprit St. Germain which was much more compact, as Parisian hotel rooms tend to be. That's why we're "spoiled" and hestiate to try others, because we love the extra space.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Maribel- thanks

Were there restaurants in the hotel area that have menus in English? Were there places to get real simple meals- small cafes with sandwiches/soup/- nothing fancy as we really do not eat fancy french quisine.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

BillT,
I'm sorry I can't answer the English menu question, because we always try to make do with our limited menu French. I've never asked for an English menu; I just struggle through, but waiters most often help me along in English.
We don't actually dine too much in the immediate vicinity, as our favorite restaurants (and those I know that do have English menus) are located in the Eiffel Tower-Rue Cler-Avenue Bosquet section of the 7th, which is a 15 min. brisk walk away down Rue St. Dominique, past the Invalides.

Next door to the d'Orsay, facing the museum, is a handy cafe that caters to museum goers, which of course will have a menu in English, and there's another cafe or two on the Rue de Bellechase around the corner with menu in the window in English and a wine bar on Bellechase.

As jody says there are cafes along the Rue Jacob, not far away, and the Blvd St. Germain I'm away from my office and files now, so I can't give you specific names and addresses but others can.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Maribel- thanks a bunch you have been a great help- any other info about cafes where the menu is in English would be appreciated!!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM

We're no foodies either.. but it isn't necessary to worry so much about English menus. You can stand outside of any establishment and determine what you'd like to order (or avoid). Here is a food terms glossary to help you.
www.intimatefrance.com/glossarypag.pdf
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM

BillT,
I just remembered! Only a 3 block walk away will take you to one of the best and most elegant pastry shops in Paris,
Rollet Pradier, which is worth the trip just to oogle at the store window. It's also a gourmet take out emporium, and It's on the Place du Palais Bourbon, but the actual address is 6 rue de Bourgogne. On the rue de Bourgogne further up on the right side, there's another fantastic bakery that has won awards, whose name totally escapes me.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

OK you Paris experts out there- in the area around the Hotel Orsay-are there like markets/stores where one can purchase some items for take away and eat in the room. Honestly we are just not into french cooking and its going to be alot easier for us if we can buy some prepared foods that we can see and bring it back to the room. For us its just too risky to order off a menu for items we just don't have a clue as to how it is prepared, etc. We have been to Europe in the past and have been burned by this approach. We have had much better luck if we can see it in the shop and get it.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Bill, both rue cler market street and rue de buci market street are walkable from the D'Orsay and both have take away stores. Check out Mappy for walking directions. You might like Le relais de Entrecote on rue St Benoit...no menu at all..you are serves a nice salad with walnuts as a starter, then steak with a very nice sauce and frites, they keep your second portion of steak warm and serve it when you finish along with more frites.All you have to say is how you like your steak cooked.

Aux de Clercs on the corner of rue Jacob and rue Bonaparte , serves simple salads and plainer foods. I can't remember if their menu is translated or not.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Do you like pizza/pasta? That is pretty easy to find in Paris...
What about roasted chicken and fries? (poulet roti et frites)
Or try an Asian deli where you just point at stuff under the glass counter, they heat it and bring it to your table. It's kind of like the 'fast food' Chinese at the mall food courts in the U.S.

Every neighborhood should have a Monoprix or a Franprix - grocery stores where you can buy some packaged foods and produce and wine... etc.
there's a Franprix at 11 rue Casimir Périer, on the other side of blvd St Germain from your address...

Looks like there is a nice boulangerie called "Gosselin" at the corner of rue Bellechasse@blvd St Germain...

There's a Lina's Cafe (sandwiches, light meals) at 22 rue des St Peres (near rue Jacob)

Creperie at 30 rue Bourgogne, between St Dominique and Grenelle.

That should get you started... you'll find a LOT more as you walk about...

There aren't many places where you can buy hot food 'to go'... You can't go wrong at L'Entrecote (the steak place above), since you have no choice what to eat, as long as you do like salad and steak!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

Yes, BillT,
On the rue de Bourgogne, 3 blocks away, on the left side going up from the Place du Palais Bourbon, there is a handy market but I don't remember if it offers hot food to go. Maybe just prepared sandwiches. But the Franprix on Casimir Périer is a good option.

Both jody and Travelnut have given you really great advice. I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy L'Entrecote!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -