Talgo Train Madrid-Oviedo

Apr 27th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Luis Hippolito

Talgo Train Madrid-Oviedo

Is the Talgo train from Madrid to Oviedo reliable and fast? Does it run on Sunday in mid-June? If not, what are best alternatives from Madrid-Oviedo? I'll be there in with my elderly parents and need some feedback plz. The Talgo website doesnt show anything for mid-June yet. Thank you.

Apr 27th, 2002, 10:29 AM
angel

As far as I know the Talgo between Madrid & Oviedo does run every Sunday.
My experience with the service is that it has been reliable and comfortable in 1st. class. The trip takes just under 6 hours, mainly having to slow down due to the mountainous route between Leon & Oviedo.
A good alternative is the Alsa Supra bus service (a first class Service)which goes non-stop from Madrid to Oviedo. The trip takes 5 hours & seating is more comfortable ( 2 seats on one side of the aisle, one on the other) than on regular intercity buses. A snack & drinks are served & there is a Supra lounge at the Estacion Sur de Autobuses..
Certainly the train is more spacious than a bus.

Apr 27th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Luis Hippolito

Angel -- Much thanks for your wise advice. You obviously know what you're talking about. One more question: If I get off in Avila to spend 4-5 hours, is there somewhere at the Avila station to store baggage till I return to the station to continue on my trip? ..Muchas gracias...

Apr 28th, 2002, 05:20 AM
angel

I have never gone inside the train station at Avila. However since there are regular commuting trains (Cercanias) from Madrid that stop there, my guess is that it is a busy station so there would be a place to store baggage.
The station is a bit away from the famous "Walled City" of Avila but as usual at train stations there is a cab stand outside.
Ref. the Talgo : Recommend that you reserve first class seats in advance!

Apr 28th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Luis Hippolito

Muchas Gracias (again), Angel!

Apr 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Maribel

Luis,
Yes, there's baggage storage (a "consigna") at the Avila train station so that you and your parents can store your bags and grab a taxi. As Angel says, it's quite a hike from the Renfe station to the entrance to the walled city