taking teens to Italy

Search

taking teens to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking teens to Italy

I'm a well travelled mom but never have taken my teens to Europe. What would a 14 and 18 year old like best in Italy in August? Both love the arts but we're not big museum folks. We like nightlife too..any suggestions?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Where in Italy are you going and are the teens boys or girls?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:41 PM

Presuming you are coming from the USA, when you say "museum", do you mean ordinary "museum" outside major US cities?

When we travel to Europe, we visit well known museums even though we are not "museum" folks at home. Ours is quite expensive and the collection is very small. Our closest world class museum in the US is about 1000 miles away!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hi dublinohmom. We took our daughter to Italy for two months when she was in her teens. And quite frankly she did not want to go. And when it was time to leave she cried, she wanted to stay in Italy.

As to what your teens would like - well that is hard to answer. What are they interested in? What have the showed enthusiam for regarding the trip? Or have they? Sometimes teens don't know what they want or like until the are exposed to it.

One thing I would say is that Italy in August is normally very hot and humid. So do not overplan. Try to do your sightseeing in the morning, have your lunch and then take it easy until the late afternoon.

What places in Italy are you thinking of going to?

So many questions - but without more information your question is hard to answer IMHO.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:13 AM

It would help to know the cities your planning to visit.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Italy in August is seriously hot, so be warned! Most cities are deserted in AUgust because of the heat (the locals head to the lakes or the mountains during this month), so I would say look into the Lakes in the North.

Lake Garda is my favourite, and places like Desenzano del Garda are right on the Milan-Verona-Venice, so you're in a perfect position to take a day-trip to any one of these wonderful places. Verona is my particular favourite, plenty of history to soak in. For towns to stay in, try Lazise, Bardolino, Sirmione or Malcesine.

Gardaland is a theme park nearby too, which would be quite fun for an afternoon! Nightlife on the lakes is a lot better too, there are plenty clubs round about (alcohol isn't a major factor in enjoying yourself on a night out though), and one thing I'd say about Northern Italy is that the locals are far more cosmopolitan and dare I say occasionally a little bit snobby towards tourists, so if you have teenage daughters they are far less likely to get unwanted older male attention than they might further south. Do be prepared for the odd "Ciao bella" though - just ignore it!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replys.I guess Italy in August may be a mistake-everyone mentioned the heat! We could change plans. We wanted to see Venice but were open to any other cities. My son is 14 my daughter 18 and about to spend a semester living in Luxemburg, so she'll see most of N. Europe..thats why we picked Italy. My kids and I are active..so the catacombs someone mentioned sound great. The Lakes in the N. that Sandi mentioned sound good.. we like outdoors siteseeing more than churches and museums. Really appreciate all your suggestions.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Xverso, it was your reply about the lakes and theme park that I think sounds exactly what we'd like. Is it easy to get there or requires rental car? Would you recommend leaving from Verona..I'll check some maps. thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM

We've been to Italy in August a few times with our teens. Other than an extreme heatwave in Rome two summers ago, we have not found the heat so unbearable.

Last summer ( August) we visited Santa Margherita, Portofino, CInque Terre, Pisa, Florence and Tuscany. My kids loved the coastal part of the trip best. My suggestion would be to tour the coast, then train from Genoa-Milan- Lago Maggiore or Como. YOu'd have gorgeous scenery, plenty of swimming/water sports, touring, in very different areas of Italy.

Good luck with your plans!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM

dublinohmom, I'm taking my teens to Italy also. I think there are must sees, such as The Last Supper, Venice, David, Sistine Chapel. Their must sees are Pisa, Catacombs, Colosseum, and Pompeii. Lots of travel but you have to try to get it all in, in case they don't get back.