Search

I miss Italy like crazy...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I miss Italy like crazy...

Hi all,
I was just sitting here ready a few people's trip reports on Italy, and I started to really, really miss it. Despite the fact that it's been two years and several other trips, it's the place my heart belongs I think. Anyone else ever have these moments where you miss a place almost like it's a friend who's moved away or something? Is that crazy-travel-fanatic talk?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Amanda, I feel your pain. A little Chianti or Amarone always helps.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Amanda, you are not crazy.

I have described Italy as a little bit like a blood infection or a high fever; you're not sure if everything you're experiencing is real, but you know without a doubt that you don't want it to end!

Best wishes,
BC
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Ah Italy! What IS it about Italy? I think it's because much of our culture really did originate there so it's familiar in a deep-seated way while being sooo different visually. DH and I would live there (but which place???) if we thought we could cope with the system and live without USA.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I have my Italy trip pics set up as a screen saver here at my work computer ... sigh. It was about this time two years ago that my daughter and I started to plan our month long trip through Europe ... sigh.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I think the only cure for this sickness is to start planning the next trip. I don't even know when we're going next, but I'm already browsing Venice accomodations and considering where else we might go. . . . just in case.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM

I have the sickness for Italy as well...unfortunately I also have it for Paris too. My problem (and a blessing) is that my only child has just been accepted into an out of state college and all of our travel money this year will be tied up in all that college requires. A blessing and a curse.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM

I long for Italy, and Europe in general, when I am not there. I have discovered that my only cure is to plan another vacation while I long to be there.

On the bright side, I am leaving for Italy in a week and a half and can't wait!

Tracy
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM

When in Italy buy CD's of Italian music, the uptodate music..not just the old classics. That is wonderful to have when you are back home and missing Italy so much. Of course it makes you more "homesick" for Italy..so it is bittersweet. I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with a friend in Florence yesterday..sure made me wish I was in Italy right now.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I nearly went crazy missing Italy like a person. Two years without was the longest it had been. Mind you, I had taken great trips in the meantime: Ireland, Belgium, Africa...but it just wasn't Italy.

I went back last October, had a fabulous time (again) and felt like I'd come home. Sure, things were different: almost everything I'd taken photos of in Spoleto, that I'd planned to shoot again was "in restauro." It got to the point that I had to laugh. You can never go home again!

There's a book called Italy Fever that sold well during the height of Italy intensity (about a year or so after the publication of Under the Tuscan Sun) that describes ways you can keep Italy in your life. But it just isn't the same. sigh.

I feel like Italy has its hooks in my heart fiercely. I watched almost all of the Olympics just to investigate Torino and see Italians!
So now I'm planning again...aren't we all? Even if we dont' know when we'll actually go!

Oh, and LoveItaly--you're right! I buy jazz and rock and all sorts of music--love Pino Danielle, Jovanotti, Paolo Conte--it does make me feel better...and worse! ;-)
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Every day. We have been 5 times, and we have three more trips planned already, two in 2006 and one in 2007. I will never get enough of Italy!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Hey wanderlust5, DH and I have also been 5 times. Do people say "Why in the world don't you go some place different???"?
We are going to So. France this year but our hearts aren't in it! Maybe we'll get a new obsession?
And Sandi, we share you love of Paris. I think it would be easier to live there? So have you all seen as much of the U.S. as of Italy?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM

donco,

Don't worry. The south of France is a close second in my heart to Italy. I especially love Nice, but mostly because it feels Italian!

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Oh brother, Weadles, we may never get to the U.S.!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM

It's true! I just returned and I'm longing to go back. In fact, I have started outlining plans to take my honey to Venice since he was not able to go with me this time and I did make it to Venice. (But how can I miss Rome? I adore Rome! See, that's the problem, too!)

It's an addiction. But I have to say that I felt the same way when I went to Paris a few years ago. I love Paris, too!

Oh, the agony! Oh, the injustice of having to work for a living! Life is so unfair!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Can it be, all of you need treatment ;-). It you want to be in Italy, why on earth don't you go (and stay) there? Strange people...
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM

We were in Rome in December and on May 26 we will be heading to the Valtellina north of Milano. Staying with friends in Chiesa in Valmalenco and in Sondrio. Great hiking, Alps...we can't wait to get back to Italy. All the best, JoeGo
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM

loislane17, I know how you (we) all feel. I just ordered 5 copies of Italy Fever off Amazon ($ a copy) for my family. (To ameliorate our longing, of course...)
Donco, silly people just assume that in going to Italy as frequently as I can and dreaming about it when I'm not there is simply lack of imagination!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Hello donco, have I seen as much of the US as I have of Italy. NO!! But my excuse is that Italy is much smaller than the US. Will that excuse work, LOL.

And logos, strange people? Hmmm, residents of the US can only stay in Italy for 90 days max after that they need a visa etc and to live there they need a residents card etc. So strange question

Loislane, better and worse..good description. Italian music is so hearttouching isn't it?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I miss italy like crazy, too. I love Rome...Sometimes I have dreams that I am walking through the streets of Rome and when I wake up I have an erie wonderful feeling like I had an out of body experience. It is an ecomical way to get my italy fix...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -