Search

Taking my 16 yr to Europe for 6 days

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking my 16 yr to Europe for 6 days

Hi there:
I am looking to take my daughter to Europe for her 16th birthday and have no idea where to go. She would enjoy museums and theatre, loves fashion and arts, would be comfortable doing outdoor activities as well. Planning for the end of June - early July. Originally I thought Paris because of the fashion aspect and touristy stuff but I personally loved London and think it's an easy city to get around. I would also love Italy as well but I know it's not about me! Can anyone give advice? Also, hotel recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I would take her to Paris. It is easier than London as the central area is totally walkable. You can take her to a fashion show at Galaries Lafayette - show is free but reservations are required. With six nights you could do an out-of-town excursion to Giverney or if you are up for a long day, to the Loire Valley to see Chateaux. There are also the Segway tours and the fat tire bike tours of Paris - all would be fun with a 16 year old.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Have you asked your daughter which of these countries she would prefer? Give her a guidebook for each of your choices to skim and see which she prefers.

For best hotel options, we need to know your budget.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Pick Paris or Rome and spend all 6 days in that city.
If Rome, plan to take a day trip by train to Orvieto to get a taste of small town Italy.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM
tn

Mercedes,

First, you will have a great time. I have done two solo trips with my oldest son and it has been a great pleasure. I am looking forward soon to trips with my daughter, which will happen in about two years.

I agree that you should get some input from your daughter. And I am sure you will.

Last March I took my then sixteen year old on a trip to London and Paris. He had a great time. One of the benefits of London was that he was also able to explore some of the town on his own, which he did and greatly enjoyed. If you click on my profile, you will see a question I posed here on that trip. I had the great benefit of a London police officer giving me guidance on this question. Regardless, he really enjoyed it.

And many of the things you point to as highlights are available in London and Paris. But I cannot comment on fashion -- that was not on our list. Both of these towns are great, and it is hard to see how you could go wrong in either. There is so much to see and do in both.

I do think with teenagers it is nice to be in a place where they can have some independence, and I felt comfortable on this subject with my son in either place. But he felt more comfortable in London where he could speak english. Something to consider, depending on your own child and their ability to do this (we live in a metro area, so he is used to a larger city).

Have a great time.

TN
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Definitely consult with her about what SHE want to see. Also consider what language(s) she has been studying - and may have an opportunity to practice. My daughers loved paris so much in part becaue they go to use their French a lot.
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

TN offers some great advice. I took my then 15 year old daughter to London and Paris last summer. While we greatly enjoyed both, my daughter liked London more, largely for the same reasons as TN's son.

If you decide on London, I'd like to suggest the London Southwark Premier Inn as a place to stay. This was a great location for us last summer, and the rates are very reasonable by London standards. The room was clean, quiet and modern, the staff was great, and the location was perfect. Its near the London Bridge tube station, with so much in easy walking distance, including the new Globe Theater, the Tate Modern (a favorite of ours, we went twice), the Borough Street Market, and lots of great restaurants and pubs.

Some other highlights my daughter really enjoyed include the Camden Market (a must for any teen, IMHO), The London Dungeon (I found it a bit cheesey, but for a teen, lots of fun), Leicester Square, West End shows, and exploring the city on the tube.

In Paris, we rented an apartment in the 2nd arrondissement. We were close to the Seine, Lourve, etc... The Batobus was a great way to get from one place to another while seeing the city at the same time. Versailles was a great day trip, and the Musée d'Orsay was a big hit. But, because neither of us spoke more than a few French phrases, it was more difficult for my daughter to do her own thing.
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM

We took our 18-year-old granddaughter to Paris for Thanksgiving week last November.

She had wanted to go to Paris since her "Madeline" days, and it was every bit as wonderful as she (and we) hoped.

We rented an apartment on Rue de Buci (just off St Germain) and the neighborhood could not have been more perfect.

Wherever you go, I know you and she will have an unforgettable memory!

Byrd
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM

"You can take her to a fashion show at Galaries Lafayette"

I would have thought a teenager offered a "fashion" (!!!) show at Galleries Lafayette would dissolve into hysterical laughter. And then would start explaining the term "oxymoron".

You might be old enough to remember the days when young girls found "Paris fashions" stylish. If you've got a 16 yo daughter as well at that age, though, you're a walking miracle.

Any 16 yo with half a brain will tell you where she wants to go. If clothes are her thing, and the only alternative is boring, fuddy duddy Paris, London obviously wins hands down. But:

1. 16 yo girls have more than clothes on their minds these days, but
2.If they don't, the world capital of young fashion is La Coruna, Spain, and
3. Otherwise: Milan's the place.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM
sap

Flanneruk is giving fashion advice pertaining to 16-year-old girls? I'm floored.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM

My daughter is 16 and is desperate for me to take her to Paris (for the Eiffel tower) - its her number one destination - closely followed by Italy (Florence for the art, then Venice) . I plan to take her Christmas 2012 - she will be 18 then. But we have to squeeze in Germany and Austria too as they are MY favourites.

I would ask your daughter 'if she had a choice where would she go.....' you can put the question to her on the sly if you want it to be a surprise.

It may sound madness, but you could think about doing a day trip to London from Paris (if you choose this destination) on the Eurostar. I think with 6 days available to you, that would be feasible. Its something my daugher and I have talked about doing. If you plan it carefully you can fit an awful lot into one day.

Let us know what you decide on and how it goes - I would be interested to know the outcome.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:30 PM

As Audrey Hepburn said "Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live."

This is a spectacular and easy City to visit. You have History, Art,Food, Fashion and Culture.