Taking a Trip to London and Scotland

Jan 12th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Taking a Trip to London and Scotland

I'm wondering what the transportation is like in London and Scotland. Just trying to see if I should get a car. Most of my time will be spent in London. Hoping to go to Scotland for a few days, will probably take the train for that. I know I will be going out the Bath and Stonehenge. They transportation in Munich was awesome..wondering if it is like that in London. Thanks guy and gals.
Jan 12th, 2017, 12:18 PM

London and southern England transports are just as good as those in Munich or better in terms of where trains go outside the city.

Bath is about 1.5 hours by train each way
Stonehenge easily done by train to Salisbury then coach or taxi the several miles to the ancient circle.

Both great day trips

How long do you have all together and have you been to London before?

If you had time you could train London to Bath - take a train up to Edinburgh or Glasgow via a stop in the fabled Lake District- maybe take a mini-bus tour that gets you into the Scottish highlands where public transit ain't so great.

Fly into London and home from London.

for lots on trains in UK check out www.nationalrail.co.uk; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If you need to come back to London take a train down the scenic East Coast (scenic part between Edinburgh and Newcastle) - stop in York for a day or so and then London.

There are also overnight Caledonian sleeper trains between several places in Scotland and London.
Jan 12th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

At this point, we will be there for 9 days. One day will be for the NFL game over there. Plan on 2 days in Scotland and 2 days in Paris. All of those sound like great ideas you had. I will look into them all. So, I am assuming that a car is not really necessary? Never been to London.
Jan 12th, 2017, 12:38 PM

You do not need or want a car *in* London.
Jan 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

You say not "in" London. But, what about getting to places outside of London. Plan on the train to Scotland and Paris.
Jan 12th, 2017, 12:53 PM

So, I am assuming that a car is not really necessary? Never been to London.>

for your plans definitely NO to a car.

London-Paris in about 2 hours on Eurostar trains - www.eurostar.com- book ASAP -months in advance to nab deep discounted but limited in number tickets.

Why not fly into Paris and out of Edinburgh or v.v.?
Jan 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Part of my bucket list is to ride in highspeed train. Plus its cheaper to fly into and out of London.
Jan 12th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Part of my bucket list is to ride in highspeed train.>

Eurostar is a high-speed train running up to around 180mph for much of its run. But in the U.K. high-speed trains mean slow-speed compared to the Eurostar and Continent-about the only country in western Europe without a true high-speed train (apart from small Eurostar portion).

London-Edinburgh about 5 hours -take night train at least one way to save time.
Jan 12th, 2017, 02:12 PM

A little off track so far unfortunately -- since at least 1.5 days of your limited time will be devoted to the game.

Having been to London many times and to NFL games there twice - some practicalities/reality check:

You will need to be in London at least 3 full days (which is 4 nights). 1 day for jet lag and 'acclimating', 1 full day will be taken up w/ the game and at least one day for any sightseeing at all. Better would be 5+ plus days if you also want to partake in any of the pre-gam festivities (rallies in Regent Street, Trafalgar Sq etc.). For someone attending an NFL game really a full week in London will still only give you about 4 days for sightseeing.

Then you need half a day to get to Edinburgh and at least 2 night there (which would only give you 1.5 days on the ground), another half a day to get to Paris and 3 or 4 nights there (giving you 2.5 to 3 days there)

Soooooo - You do not have enough time for London Edinburgh and Paris.

If it was me I'd do open jaw in to London and out of Edinburgh OR in to London and out of Paris and just do two cities. Otherwise you won't see much of anything in any of them.
Jan 12th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

We will have a minimum of 9 days there. Only plan on spending one day for the game.
Jan 12th, 2017, 04:16 PM

So is your trip 11 days?

And where are you flying in/home from?

IF you haven't booked your flights and want to see all three cities then you will want to book open Jaw (multi-city) and 13 or 14 days from departure to return,.

You have several possibilities for open jaw but this is just one option:

Fly into London 2 days before the game -- and sleep in London 5 nights. That will give you one partial arrival/jet lag day, the game day, and 3 days for sightseeing. Train to Edinburgh and sleep 3 nights. That will give you 2.5 days in Edinburgh. then fly to Paris on one of the budget airlines, sleep 3 or 4 nights, giving you 2.5 to 3.5 days in Paris. Fly home from Paris.
Jan 13th, 2017, 03:49 AM

Chevy: The advice about a multi-city plane itinerary is sound, especially since you have so little time. Returning to London costs money and time. In my experience the multi-city ticket won't be much more than London round trip as long as you are using a multi-destination search function. These are not two one-way tickets.
Jan 13th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips.
Jan 13th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Chevy--concur with Southam. Just priced a trip flying into Glasgow via LHR and back to ATL from LHR, and the fare was the same--and the airlines better--than if I'd priced just ATL--LHR.

However, you don't really have time to go to Paris AND to Scotland. If you want to enjoy your trip, slow down. Do one or the other, but not both.

Search this Thread