london to Scotland

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london to Scotland

What is the best way to get from London to Scotland and how long will it take?
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
impossible to answer w/o knowing 1) what you mean by "best" (cheapest, fastest, easiest, whatever) and 2) WHERE in Scotland? It is a rather big place.

(also - where you are starting from in/near London could also make a difference)
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

We would like to Edinburgh. How long would it take on a train? We are going to London and we would like to take a side trip somewhere. We have already been to Paris, so we are looking for options. All suggestions are EXTREMELY welcome
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Easy Jet has very inexpensive flights from London to Edinburgh (less than $100 usually). We have had very good experiences with Easy Jet.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM

The main trains that go from London to Edinburgh is the East Coast Main Line from London Kings Cross.

The franchise is switching over from GNER to National Express East Coast tomorrow 12/9/07. [Which in real time is just about NOW!] The new website should be:

www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com

You can also find train times and fares on www.nationalrail.co.uk.

Fastest trains takes 4:30. Fares vary, depending on fare type, how far you book in advance, etc. Walk up fare is very expensive (£120!)

There's also the Caledonian sleeper train from London Euston every night.

And of course you can fly. But don't forget the cost of transportation to/from the airports.

Or take the National Express bus. Can't find timetable right now, but it'll take significantly longer than the plane and/or train.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM

We took the GNER last summer. It's a pleasant way to travel. We purchased the tickets way in advance and paid ₤21 per person.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
twk

I chose GNER over flying and was happy with the choice. Once you account for the time it takes to get to the airport, and how early you have to arrive, there's little or no time difference between the train and air travel from Central London to Central Edinburgh.

I was interested in taking the sleeper, but others in my party were not. With the restrictions on cabin baggage for flights originating in the UK (which I understand they are loosening), flying was a distant third choice. Of course, if you are going to take the train, you need to book as soon as the tickets go on sale (it was 7 weeks in advance with GNER) in order to get the best deals (true to a certain extent with airlines, too).
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM

The train also gives you some sights to see en route - look out to the right as you come towards Durham station, for example, and it runs near the coast at Berwick.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM

There's also the Sleeper service provided by Firstscotrail. Bargain Berths are really a bargain specially as it means you save a night's accommodation.

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...eper/index.php

BTW it looks as if the NationalExpressEastCoast website accepts foreign addresses as there's an option for "international addresses" when registering

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think the train is goping tobe our best bet. I will look through these websites to see what time and price is best for us.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Where in London are you starting from ? That could make a difference as to how easy it is to get to King's Cross or one of the airports.

And how long for - not a day trip, I presume ?

Personally I haven't got the train for ages, I always fly - it's usually cheaper, usually more reliable and is still quicker (for me, anyway), even taking into getting between the airports & the cities. Edinburgh has a very frequent bus which costs £3 and takes 25 minutes between the airport and city centre.

I've used the sleeper a couple of times but it was late both times, uncomfortable and I find the lack of showers inconvenient.

As regards airlines flying to Edinburgh, BA flies from Heathrow & Gatwick, bmi flies from Heathrow and Easyjet flies from Gatwick, Stansted and Luton. I most often use bmi.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM

you could get the national express coach, which takes all day, but then so does waiting around in airports and delays and nightmare london airports etc.
and its cheaper. they have "funfare", offepeak times to travel. i just looked up an example fare:
outward journey 15 GBP
return journey 1 GBP

so 16 quid if you're flexible.