Take later train from Florence to Rome?

Dec 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Take later train from Florence to Rome?

I hope this isn't too trivial a question (and I apologize if it is), but what is a good time to return to Rome from Florence on the Eurostar?

We will arrive in Florence, for the day, at 9 am. I am wondering if Florence is especially beautiful at night and its worth it to stay later. Should we leave at 9:30pm, getting to Rome at 11pm? Ot should we just leave at about 7 or so? I'd hate to leave if we were having a good time there, but also I worry about getting into Rome too late. Thanks if you can shed some light on this.

Regards,

Kurt
Dec 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Hi Kurt -

Florence is beautiful at any time of day, IMO, but if you are going in winter, it can be quite chilly after sundown.

Do you have to decide ahead of time or can you decide based on the weather you encounter that day/evening?
Dec 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Unlike Venice, Florence is not particularly beautiful in the evening, in my opinion.

I would choose based on the weather that day and on whether I wanted to have dinner in Florence or in Rome.

Dec 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks L and El

I have already booked the train to Florence, and not the return trip.

What is the best way to decide at the last minute the time to come home? I wouldn't want to risk missing all trains back due to large crowds. Thanks again!
Dec 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Hi Kurt -
I am by no means an expert on the Italian train system (just see my trip report for what I mean) but why not check out the trenitalia website for a general idea of how late the trains run. Then you will know what your options are without waiting until the very last train.

Depending on what day of the week, I doubt very much that the trains will be sold out.

And I agree with Eloise, it sort of depends on where you want to have dinner. If you leave Florence around 7:00pm, you will be back in Rome for dinner. But dinner after 7:30 in Florence will mean a late train back to Rome.

Linda
Dec 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Linda,

We decided to leave at 9:30 pm from Florence. We figured after 12 hours of more or less walking we will be bushed!

I also just made reservations for the Accademia at 10am (Not big on paintings (Ufizzi).

We figure that we'll have dinner in Florence around 7:30pm and then hit the train at 9:30. If were hyped up then perhaps we'll get a drink in Rome, but I have a feeling we'll be in slumberland at that point

Regards,

Kurt
Dec 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Give my regards to David! No pictures do him justice.

I am very jealous - Have a wonderful trip!

Linda
Dec 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
MaureenB

I think you're smart to take the later train. If you only have the one day in Florence, why leave early?

A restaurant I can recommend for dinner is the Trattoria Garga on Via del Moro 48/R, phone 055 2398898. We had an amazing meal there this past May, probably my best in Italy. My dish was veal with avocado, which sounds odd (most really good dishes do, I think), and was mouth-watering. Our waiter was a riot-- singing and joking all over the restaurant. It was a friendly, lively, bustling atmosphere with excellent food. We paid 81EUR for two, with a half-liter of house wine.

Enjoy Italy!
>-

Dec 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Hiya Linda,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I am thrilled I was able to book on Trenitalia so easily. I must have done something wrong!
Anyway, I'm glad I'm staying later. Why sleep when you're in Rome, no?

Maureen,
I took down your advice and will try to check this restaurant out. Sounds like what I'm looking for, Thanks so much. I'm just hoping it won't be too cold there!! We went to London when it was this cold and we had a great time even though it was a tad chilly. Take care,

Kurt