Florence, then where in February?

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence, then where in February?

Planning a trip in February. Landing in Florence mid February. Wanted to see Positano, but is weather a factor, plus nothing open til season? If not there, where else should we visit...Rome? Other suggestions for a winter stay.
Thanks,
Marti
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM

First, how long are you in Florence for and then how long is your whole is your total stay in Italy for?

Rome is a quick train ride away on the Eurostar express.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM

sorry for the above typos - sleepy girl here...
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:03 PM

We spent last Feb in Rome, Florence and then Venice. Weather was 55- 60, Can;'t think of anything that we couldn't do because of season or weather. Florence was terrific, no lines to any of the museums, restaurants,,crowds on street were lively and busy. Rome a little warmer than Florence and both warmer than Venice
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies regarding my trip planned to Florence and Rome in February. I will be in Italy for a total of three weeks with no particular schedule as of yet. I would think a week in Florence, then a train ride into Rome with day trips out from there, then back to Florence to fly home.

Any suggestions on side trips, hotels, etc would certainly be gratefully accepted.

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:04 PM

Rent a car out of Florence, take a few days to explore the small towns of Tuscany, then to Rome and Positano.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM

ttt
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:42 PM

February in Italy? Anywhere except for Positano-Amalfi (most hotels/restaurants are closed for the season) although you could try Naples or Sorrento.

If you like to ski, or if you want a mountain flavor, the Dolomites are super in February. Rome has plenty to see and do any time of the year. Ferrara and the towns of Emilia Romagna are wealthy cities offering excellent food year-round. Venice is magical any time. It's a bit misty in the winter and may have acqua-alta, but that just makes it all the more mysterious. I've also heard good things about Sicily for any time of the year. Just bring a good raincoat, it may rain a bit.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Forgot to mention that we visited Siena, San Gimi, Orvieto, Spello, Spoleto and Assisi in late Feb-early March and they were absolutely delightful. Only Assisi was overrun with tourists, the rest were peaceful.