Taillevent is booked! Help!

Jan 29th, 2002, 06:35 PM
mjc

Taillevent is booked! Help!

My travel partner and I wanted to have dinner at "The best in Paris" and were told Taillevent. However, we can not get a dinner reservation for any of our 6 nights in Paris. Any suggesstions for the next best thing? I love Les Ambassadeurs. Thanks for all input!

Jan 29th, 2002, 06:52 PM
maria

The same thing happened to us a couple of years ago and we had lunch instead. It was quite an experience. I don't know if the "ambiance" is different at night but I know at lunch we had a great time, service and food were superb! If the only way to try it was lunch, I would do it again!

Jan 29th, 2002, 08:50 PM
John

I would suggest checking a Michelin guide. There are several three stars in Paris, and any three star experience is sublime, especially in Paris.

Jan 30th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Lori

there are plenty of 3 star restaurants in paris. Le Grand Vefour (a favorite), Arpege, Alain Ducasse, Lucas Carton, Ledoyen, Laurent (one of these two is 'only' 2 stars) are some that come to mind. By the way, my research said that Taillevent is not all that great, they sit the tourists in a separate room from the rest and the service can be rude. So maybe not such a great loss for you.

Jan 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
elaine

Too bad about Taillevent for dinner, it is glorious, but as recommended you could try it for lunch.
Ledoyen is gorgeous and I haven't been there for a few years but the food was gorgeous too. I went to Laurent
a couple of years ago and it was very pretty but I found the service a bit lacking and the food very good but not particularly memorable.
Le Grand Vefour is perfect as far I'm concerned.

Jan 30th, 2002, 06:15 AM
jean

We were in Paris 2 years ago in january. It was a last minute trip so do dinner reservations were made ahead of time. We were staying close to Tallivent and wanted to have dinner there, so late in the afternoon I called and they had had a cancellation - we were in. We sat at a beautiful table next to some very important guest and the food and service were wonderful. If I were you I would go ahead and make a luncheon reservation and if you really want dinner check on the day of and see if someone has had to cancel. Enjoy!

Jan 30th, 2002, 07:55 AM
ilene

Ask the concierge at your hotel. Call now (before you go) or email. Often times tables appear out of no where!

Jan 30th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Carol

Cancelations happen often, we dined at Taillevent and TourD'Agent because of them. Good luck.

Jan 30th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Lori

Unless you have your heart set on Taillevent, I'd try a reservation at Pierre Gagnaire. The loudest raves are about his restaurant. Also, you may want to check out www.chowhound.com and their international board. Lots of up-to-date reviews on most of the Paris big-boys.