WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR NEW YEARS 1999?

Jan 24th, 1999, 11:00 PM
lynn

WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR NEW YEARS 1999?

In answer to my own question...

We do not know. We've been talking about going somewhere but aren't sure about traveling after the 31st. I'm not much of an alarmist type, but, just in case there are problems, we don't want to be stranded thousands of miles from home.

We've been thinking of a movie marathon (boring, been there, done that), going to Vegas even without reservations (done that too but it was pretty fun), or going to a big event sponsored by a city or something near our home. We just don't know yet but we really don't want to stay home on THIS night.

So, give me some ideas. What are you doing for this, the last New Year's Eve of the millennium?

11 months, 1 week and counting.

Jan 26th, 1999, 12:56 AM
Inky

Vegas ? Movie marathon ?
This has nothing to do with a European travel forum. Fodrs should remove this posting immediately.

Jan 26th, 1999, 05:42 PM
lynn

Well, Inky, why do you suppose I put this question here?

Probably because I was looking for people's travel plans. Primarily, plans to Europe; although I'm just curious about them all. What a concept. On a travel forum wondering about travel plans.

Just because I'm not planning on traveling now doesn't mean I might not get a good idea from someone and change my mind later.

So, is anybody going anywhere for New Year's???

Jan 26th, 1999, 07:27 PM
tina

My dream trip is Prague and Budapest with London and Paris for christmas. But since I'm going to spend my travel money in the spring going to Paris I need to hope that my Frequent Flyer miles rack up. I'm close but just can't be sure.

If anyone is interested in a FF mileage counter that racks up miles for internet when you surf, email me for info.

Jan 26th, 1999, 08:01 PM
Hyalker

My job is expected to keep me here in Budapest until at least January/February 2000. I was thinking of here or Prague but my place here is much bigger so I've invited my college friends, people I used to travel with and a few others for a party here in Budapest. I live a block away from Heroes Square so if it's not too ridiculously jammed, I figured we'd all be there at the stroke of the clock, otherwise we'll just be passing the time away with liquid refreshments/dancing/etc.

Jan 26th, 1999, 09:28 PM
erwin

I am still thinking whether to be in London or Rome on Dec. 31, 1999. They say the biggest party will be in London but Rome is also gearing up for the year 2000. Help me decide!!!!!!!!!!Sydney is still bugging me because of the Olympics but I have removed it from my choices temporarily.

Jan 26th, 1999, 09:29 PM
erwin

I am still thinking whether to be in London or Rome on Dec. 31, 1999. They say the biggest party will be in London but Rome is also gearing up for the year 2000. Help me decide!!!!!!!!!!Sydney is still bugging me because of the Olympics but I have removed it from my choices temporarily.

Jan 27th, 1999, 09:09 AM
elvira

I would love to be in Paris for 12/31/99, but I think we (the Travelling Loons) will be in Morocco: either camped out in the Sahara with the Berbers, watch the Millenium dawn rise over red sand dunes....or in Marrakech with some Berber friends, partying our brains out.
I understand there are special tours to Petra for this event, at TWICE the usual cost....friends are concerned that with the year 2000 problem, we could be stranded overseas, so I sez, I sez "and yer point?"

Jan 28th, 1999, 02:10 AM
Nicole

Lynn,

By that fateful night I'll have been working in South Africa for over two years but I fully intend to be home in Sydney. Every New Years Eve in Sydney is magic with fantastic fireworks and I expect this one to be even bigger and better. On being stranded far away from home, just pick somewhere fantastic and count your blessings when/if you are!

To Inky, get a life, or at the very least go join the Neo-Nazis.

Nicole

Jan 28th, 1999, 03:57 AM
Inky

Nicole, you dont have to sign your posting ...that's what the 'name' box is for. To equate me to a neo-nazi is sick. Please spend some more time thinking about your posting. you may wish to apologise to me later.

Jan 28th, 1999, 04:09 AM
Tony Hughes

Bravo, Inky . . .don't let 'em get you down my son.

Erwin, who are 'they' you refer to in your posting? 'They' say London will have the biggest party? I think not. London actively discourages public parties, blocking off fountains, massive police presence etc. Edinburgh prides itself on having Europes biggest and best (so it says) street party and is currently trying to outdo its biggest rivals (New York/Rio/Roma).

In saying all that , I can't actually remember meeting someone who had a good time there.

Lynn, the last New Years Eve of the Millenium will take place on dec 31st 2000 as you should know (unless you go by the Julian calender in which case its still 1992 with you). Basically the maths were messed up and we went from BC to AD1 without stopping for zero, thus we have to wait until the end of the 2000th year before starting a new millennium

Jan 31st, 1999, 08:11 PM
topoftheworld

Lynn, Stay indoors wherever you are.
Whether it be Rome, Paris or Peoria.
This is going to be the biggest 'amateur
night' of the century, with parties galore,worldwide, and fools celebrating the start of the twenty-first millenium, one year ahead of time. Nobody seems to care about accuracy anymore.
The question, then, devolves to, where are you going to be at 12:00:01 on Dec 31, 2001, when the 21stC actually begins?
Peace.

Feb 1st, 1999, 12:42 PM
Zuzana

Yes, you guys, Tony is right, you got your math all wrong and will be a year early. The next millenium won't start until January 1, 2001. Not that there is anything wrong with having a big party this December...

Feb 2nd, 1999, 10:02 PM
lynn

Yes, I do understand all about the math and the actual millennium date etc., etc., etc.

In my house, I have 2 stepsons. One, is a physics major and almost through with school. The other is a math major with 3 years to go. Believe me, we've had this conversation many times and they've told me all about it.

However, I'm afraid I'm not really thinking about the reality of it. I just like the way it looks on the calendar. 2 0 0 0.

Call me silly? That's O.K., I can take it like a man. For me, the millennium is beginning in 11 months.

Cheers!

Feb 2nd, 1999, 10:35 PM
erwin

Hi Tony.

Just to answer your question. "They say the biggest millenium party will be in London ." 'THEY' includes Time Magazine & Frommers London Guide, the former calling London the coolest place on earth. It's time frame is GMT and obviously it is where we can experience the earliest celebration. Any more questions?

Feb 3rd, 1999, 12:33 PM
Tony Hughes

Hallo Erwin . . .

TIME magazine also came out with the headline (and forgive me if i dont quote verbatim, it was a long time ago) 'Renaissance in Cleveland'. I dont think any part of Ohio puts me in mind of 15th Century Florence.

Of course Frommers London guide will praise London. I read an article praising Calcuttas' Milennium celebrations by, believe it or not, a Calcutta-based firm.

Two other points... The whole of the UK is on GMT (including Edinburgh )and, more importantly, the first place on the planet to experience the year 2000 will be (depending on who you listen to) an island off New Zealand or somewhere around there. You see they are AHEAD of GMT. Any more questions????

Feb 4th, 1999, 02:12 AM
Rass

Tony I am of the opinion you deliberately try to condescend anyone you answer by pretending you are really helping them. Some of your replies seem to genuine but with an air of snobbishness attached to them.

Feb 4th, 1999, 06:57 PM
erwin

Thank you Rass.

Okay, Tony, I humbly admit that was a mistake when I said that GMT countries will have the earliest celebrations for New Year 2000. But do you have to be so rude just to make that point as noticed by Rass?

But no matter what you say London will have the biggest millenium party!!!!!

Cheers.

Feb 5th, 1999, 05:18 AM
Tony Hughes

Erwin, I'd like to know what part of my posting you thought was rude...go on tell me.....

Secondly, does the word 'dogmatic' mean anything to you? TIME magazine did an article on Scotland a while back and I really wonder whether the reporter actually came over here or if he lost heart and traveled to Tierra del Fuego instead. Talk of 'un-farmable land' and 'poor fishing' was way off the mark.

By all means go to London for your 'year-early' Millennium celebrations, enjoy the solitude of Leicester Square.

Feb 5th, 1999, 07:22 AM
elvira

Wow, with all the discussions about what and what is not the actual date of the Millenium, which city is going to have the best party and which isn't...Tony has convinced me to visit Scotland. It sounds like a wonderful place, and if everyone is like Tony, well, I can't wait.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO