Reload this Page >

synagouges in barcelona area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 10:21 AM
judy

we will be in sitges, outside of barcelona for rosh hashonah holidy services. please inform us of synagouges in the area.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 07:50 AM
sue

Check out <jewishexpress.c

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Maira

Check out http://www.jewishtravel.com <BR>They have excellent online guidance on kosher restaurants, synagouges in major European cities, etc..

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 09:16 AM
John

Hi, Judy, <BR>There's an orthodox synagogue & community center in Barcelona at Calle Porvenir 24. Apparently both Ashkenazi and Sephardic services are conducted, don't know how high holy days are handled. <BR>If you have time before you go, we REALLY recommend a fascinating book about Spain & the Jews, called "The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot" by Trudi Alexy (get through Amazon.com) - I read it while lying on the beach in Sitges and it changed my view of Spain's relationship with the Jews for good.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:34 AM
ilisa

John, I just read your post and want to thank you for the book suggestion. As one of the few Sephardic Jews in the United States, I crave any reading material that will help me learn more about my ancestry. Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 11:12 AM
Ann

Ilisa, you might also enjoy reading this book: <BR>The cross and the pear tree :

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 12:37 PM
Carol

Ilisa: <BR> <BR>You say you're one of the "few Sephardic Jews in the United States" - you must have made a typo. I don't know the numbers, but there is a huge Sephardic population in the US. Seattle alone has a very large Sephardic population. Do more research and you won't feel so alone. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 02:30 PM
ilisa

Carol, I don't feel so alone at all. I resent your condescending attitude because you don't know me and are not a part of my life. If you did, you would know that my family is heavily involved in the Sephardic community. My great-grandfather founded the one of the few Sephardic synagogues on the East Coast, Congregation Etz Ahaim in Highland Park, NJ. The Sephardic population in the United States is a minority of a minority. A large Sephardic population does not necessarily mean a large population overall. Compared to all the Jews in the United States, there are relatively few Sephardic Jews. I don't need to do the research.