Switzerland Itinerary

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Itinerary

Here's my itinerary for June '04.
6 nights in Lucerne at Hotel Continental Park
While there we plan to see Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus, St. Beatus Caves and Schloss Thun as well as take the train through the Brunig pass to Interlaken and Grindelwald for a day.
Then onto Zurich for 3 nights at the Marriott
where we will check out all that Zurich has to offer as well as take a day trip to Appenzell.
Anyone have any comments on these hotels or excursions?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:05 PM

It all sounds great. The only thing I would suggest you consider is taking the cog railway up to Mt. Rigi, which you can do right at the station on the lakeside in Vitznau. Rigi is high enough to be very scenic, and low enough to have very pleasant temperatures in the summer. Views from Rigi are spectacular in all directions. Good luck.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:28 PM

When you see Grindelwald and the Berner Oberland, you'll wish you had more than a daytrip there. If it was me, I'd go 3 nights Luzern, 4 nights Grindelwald, 2 nights Zurich. That's just me.

Enjoy it, though. It's all good.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:06 PM
JonJon

I would suggest that if you have the time on the way to or from Appenzell that you consider visiting the abbey church and library in St. Gallen...if you're traveling by train you'll have to change trains, and stations (a very short walk) in St. Gallen anyway. The church interior is felt by many to be the most beautiful in the entire country.
Whereas Appenzell and the surrounding countryside is/are certainly worth a visit I doubt you'll end up spending the entire day there. Regardless, enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:19 PM

The mountains of the Berner Oberland are more spectacular than those around Luzern. The mountains themselves individually are more dramatic, and collectively they are majestic.
I don't understand your selection at all.

I have been to both areas more than once, and it is the glaciers and peaks of the main range of the Berner Oberland that keeps me coming back.

The Brunig Pass is ok, but hardly the eyepopper that you will find if you traverse the Susten, Grimsel, and Furka Passes. The Grimsel is awesome; the Furka is high, steep and winding and the Susten in beautiful.

Zürich would not hold my interest for 3 days, particularly knowing I was not in the mountains. But, cities don't really appeal to me I guess.