Itinerary for Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner & I will have 3 days in Switzerland at the end of our European vacation in mid June. We will be flying home from Zurich. We were thinking of getting a Swiss Rail Pass to get around.
I would love some suggestions on a possible itinerary for the 3 days.
Should we base ourselves in one place & just take day trips from there? Bern, Luzern, Kandersteg?
Not really interested in staying in Zurich or Geneva.
What is on the must-see list of Switzerland?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:10 AM

ttt
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you like to be in the mountains? If so, many people here use Wengen as a base to see Jungfraujoch and do some hiking. You could even do a day trip from there to Luzern.

Put Wengen or Berner Oberland into the search function for further details.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Save the money for the Swiss Rail Pass and just buy a simple ticket to Lucern. There's a lot of things to see and do around the Lucern area. Then you can take the train right back to the airport in Zurich.

Pilatus is worth visiting. Lucern is great and it's more than a day's visiting. Rigi is a boat ride and climb up the mountain. There are a lot of nice places to visit and in the evening, you can take a drink or something along the Reuss river.

Lovely vacation days.

Blackduff
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Go to: www.budgeteuropetravel.com and on the home page request the free European Planning & Rail guide which has a whole chapter on Switzerland and Swiss trains - with suggested itineraries and bits of Swiss specialty trains and railpasses. In 3 days i would just head for the fantastic Jungfrau region - a 3 day SwissPass could well be worth it as it not only covers trains in the Jungfrau and to and from Zurich but also gives you 50% off everything - boats, buses, mountain trains, gondolas - the fabulous Jungfrau excursion from the Interlaken area to the world's highest train station and a sea of ice costs well over $100 - also probably the world's most expensive train but Swiss Pass gives you about a $75 discount off the price, so a Swiss Pass could be good --- or as blackduff says the Lucerne area is also great - though in no way the top of the world glacial experience of the Jungfrau area around Interlaken-Grindelwald - but a nice lake and nice city - in that case if just going to Lucerne, yes just buy tickets at the station. If thinking the Swiss Pass they are significantly cheaper now in the US than in Switzerland - even with RailEurope's $15 fee in many cases - i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387) as they are Swiss experts and don't charge the $15 fee in most cases. I strongly feel that the Grindelwald-Jungfrau area is the perfect place for a quick look at Switzerland - the essence of the high Alps - cow and chalet-studded verdant valleys sloping up to awesome glacier-girdled high peaks.