Switzerland in May/June? I've been there in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of possibly going to Switzerland next May or June - always wanted to be in the Alps when there are flowers blooming. Those of you who have been there at that time - will the trips up the mountains in the Berner Oberland be open? How does the weather at that time compare to September's? Been there twice in Sept., but, as I said, always wanted to see some flowers.

Also --- Don't want to be overrun by tourists, and I'm guessing it might be more crowded in June vs. Sept.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Have not been in Sept - but have in late May, June and July. The latter was most crowded. June had lots of flowers. In May there were flowers but it was still chilly - and somewhat early - at some of the higher elevations. But I think that can vary a couple of weeks by year - and how late winter lasts.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Hi kenav,

The wildflowers around Gstaad are particularly stunning in May. Yes, I'd say go! Maybe early to mid June.

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM

We were in Switzerland (Glion) in early May this year. Sunny and in the 70s every day and warm enough to wear t-shirts to hike around in the snow when we took a train up the mountain. Absolutely gorgeous and some of our favourite scenery we've seen. I think late May / June would be perfect!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:38 AM

We were there the last week of May, first week of June last year. Very
beautiful but with unpredictable weather. Temps in the seventies for the most part but we had 5" of snow May 28 in Kandersteg.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 05:24 AM

We always go the latter part of May. There usually are flowers blooming - the weather when we've been there is nice. A little cooler than we have here in NC in May, but good travelling weather. We also encountered some of the mountain areas not open yet. But we love May in Switzerland! We love anytime in Switzerland...
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

swisschocolate -

Do you remember which areas of the mountains weren't open yet?
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM

We went to Montreaux at the end of May one year - to me the weather / flowers were like early spring. There is the lakeside promenade there and I thought we were a little early to really enjoy it at its best. We took the Golden Pass up to Gstaad and again, it seemed like early spring - if I did it again, I would go just a bit later, more like mid-June.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I wouldn't go to regions with cable cars and hiking paths that go above 2500 m before early June.

The lower regions of the Bernese Oberland are fine in late May, but Wengen and Mürren e.g. are still pretty quiet (read: dead). The cog-railways will be open (Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch) and also the cable car to Mürren, but not Schilthorn (I think, but I could be wrong on that one), First, Männlichen gondola.

I.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM

We were in Switzerland from June 7 to June19 this year and it rained almost every day. We had two nice days in Basel,where we started, and that was pretty much it!

We went to Appenzell, then on to Graubunden,
and finally drove down to Lugano looking for some sun....but no luck down there either.

The wildflowers, however, were gorgeous!

We've been to Switzerland in June at least a half dozen times before, and always had great weather.You just have to luck out!!

Before June 15 many hotels, restaurants and cable cars are closed for vaction/maintenance ,etc.It is really low season in the ski areas of Switzerland.

The upside is you can travel without hotel reservations,and when the sun shines it's glorious and peaceful.

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Do you (anyone) think there will be a difference in the amount of tourists in mid-June to late June vs. July?
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Less tourists in May than June or July.

Switzerland's school holidays start the second week of July to mid August.

The weather is IMPOSSIBLE to predict. This year, our May was humdrum but the first part of June was outstanding. The second part was cooler and wet.

Right now, we are going through an Indian summer. We haven't had a drop of rain for one whole week! That doesn't happen often in Switzerland. The fog is creeping around in the morning but we have sunny but hazy afternoons.

I'm off to the local badi fest this afternoon. Last night I went to the bell fest in Brunnen. I drank too much Süüre Most in a tent filled with jodeling bell ringers and cigarette puffing spectators. Good Swiss music being played live in the background.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

schuler - What's a badi fest?

Are you originally from Switzerland?
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badi = Public Beach that usually charges admission.

Been here over the past 20 years. Before that, I spent my life growing up in Washington State.

(By the way, I didn't make it to the Badi fest. Kids wanted to stay home and enjoy the beautiful weather from our yard.)
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shuler.

I've been to Switzrland twice and love it. After the first itme I wanted to go back so much, I looked into trying to get a temporary position (for a few months/weeks/summer) at one of the universities that each English. I'm a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist and my specialty is Accent Modification for non-native speakers of English (improving their intelligibility in spoken English.). Unfortunately, the various colleges didn't have a course like that - and I'm guessing were not aware that speech intelligibility is as vital to daily communication (or more so!), as writing and reading English well. Thus, they weren't interested in initiating a course.

So, I didn't make an inroad into this there. I've presented seminars in Vienna and Paris on this subject, but wanted to stay longer in a place like Switzerland.

(Sad face.)

Guessing you probably have a job in Switzerland. If so, good for you!

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Reinvigorating this post i started a while ago.

Now still thinking of going to Switzerland in May or June - but with friends who have never been.

Worried about cable cars, funiculars, etc. being open and running at that time. Really want to get up to Schnygge Platte (sp?) again.

Any advice?
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Yes, get a Michelin green guide. In the back it has the hours and times that attractions and lifts run. My book from 4 years ago says the Schynige Platte railway runs from Jun-Oct. If I were you, I'd go in June versus May. Many lifts open in mid-June. I've been there 3 times in June and it's not crowded. Seem everyone I know who went in May had rain.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LLindaC
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM

The Schynige Platte cable car starts on 22.5.2009. This and other timetables can be checked under:
http://www.sbb.ch

By the way, they have an alpine garden at Schynige Platte:
http://www.schynigeplatte.info/
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Eiger, I know about the Alpine Garden. I went there 5 years ago and was blown away. What a glorious spot!