Switzerland, Germany, Austria

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland, Germany, Austria

My wife & I (both 77) are considering a trip in early September to Switzerland, Germany, & Austria. We would be flying out of Houston (IAH). My wife's great-grandmother was from Schaffhausen, Switzerland, so she would like to do some genealogical research into her maternal family there. After Schaffhausen, nothing else is considered at this point. I know Munich is a short trip from Schaffhausen. Innsbruck and Salzburg are not far away. The total number of days would be approximately 14 - 18 days. It is already June so time is of the essence if we are going to get a trip planned, reservations made, etc. I thought about including Zermatt but have the feeling that it is a tourist city and other than gorgeous scenery, it may not have much more other than looking at the Matterhorn and riding the cog train up to Gornergrat.

We enjoy history, museums, art, and music (I play cornet in a British-style brass band). I always have a camera with me.
My wife is not able to lug heavy luggage all over creation so keeping transportation simple is a goal. Based on what I have above, what are your thoughts?
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 03:46 PM

Oktoberfest in Munich starts September 17. So if you want to visit Munich, you need to get hotel reservations now. You could avoid the maximum crowds by visiting the city before Sept. 17. How much time do you figure on spending in Schaffhausen? You could fly in an out of Zurich, and do a round trip: Schaffhausen, Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck and leave from Zurich. Trains would be the most convenient form of ground transportation.

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not stick to Switzerland? Pick another couple places there. I'm partial to Lac Leman region, outside Geneva, cities/towns like Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux. Use the train (excellent system) to get around. Include Bern. Maybe fly into Zurich then out of Geneva?
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:58 AM

If you like outstanding museums, Munich is a good place. Basel (1 hr down the Rhine river from Schaffhausen, trains every hr) could keep you busy a few days too. For open air museums, check the Lake dweiings museum at Untruhldingen (not far from Schaffhausen too), the Swiss village museum at Brienz, the Ecomusee d'Alsace close to Mulhouse or the prehistoric rock dwellings at Capo di Ponte (South of Bernina).
Mountains are best for hiking on scenic trails in an unspoilt landscape. There are furthermore many thermal baths with mineral water coming just out of the mountain and tons of castles and pold churches, as anywhere in Switzerland.
Charming medieval cities around Shaffhausen: Stein am Rhein, Engen, Rottweil, Laufenburg (tiny), Bern, Murten, Lucerne, Bellinzona.....
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

OK, time has passed and September is out for a trip to Schaffhausen, etc. Now, we think we can get away in October. I think we can devote up to 3 weeks for this trip. We want to do some family genealogy work in Schaffhausen. I've tried reaching out to two chamber of commerce-type organizations in Schaffhausen but have received no replies. I am still looking for a genealogical organization there to contact prior to a visit so we don't waste a lot of time. I assume we should be able to do this research and some local sightseeing in 3 or 4 days.
The rest of the trip should give us at least 12 to 14 days to see other places. At this point, I believe the easiest place for us to fly to is Zurich. From there, trains appear to be the best mode of travel for two 77-year-olds. We could rent a car and drive but I'm not excited about dealing with traffic, parking, weather, etc.
Because of the time of year, weather, and event schedules, are there things going on that we should make an effort to see or do? As you can tell, this is primarily a family history search for my wife. The rest of the time is a blank dry-erase board.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 04:59 AM

In October, days will get shorter and foggier (especially in the midlands), Rhine river boats and Lake Constance boats as well as many mountain railways will no longer run in the second half of October.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Some things are not simple. Now, this trip started out as a genealogical expedition to Schaffhausen, Switzerland, to research my wife's ancestors. We were going to try and build in a couple of weeks of vacation time in our schedule in addition to Schaffhausen. Now, we might throw in a week in Romania/Transylvania to search out information about my maternal grandparents. I'm trying to find information about the two villages they were born in. Google Earth does not know the names so I assume they may no longer exist as functioning towns. I've emailed the Romanian Tourism folks to see if they can tell me where the villages were.

Regardless, I think we now ought to devote up to a week in Romania and start in Bucharest. After a few days in the Schaffhausen area and maybe a few days in Zurich, I would like to also spend a few days in the Munich vicinity. We could fly from Texas to Zurich and use trains to travel to Schaffhausen, Munich, etc. Getting from Zurich/Munich, etc., the train might be the best mode of transportation to Bucharest. We might have to rent a car there to visit remote towns/villages in Transylvania. After all of that, we could either take the train or fly back to Zurich for the flight back to the US.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use Rome2rio to help you with your transport questions. I've never known anyone who went to Bucharest by train from Zürich. It's too far away.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

The Romanian names for the two villages are:
Viile Tecii
Posmus

Since I think the most economic flight for us to take is a round-trip from the US to Zurich. Sometime in the trip, we can fly from Zurich to Bucharest and back to Zurich.