Munich to Zurich

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Zurich

We're going on two separate tours in September. The first one ends in Munich and the second one starts in Zurich 3 days later.

I'm looking for recommendations of things to see and do during those three days: where to stay, best mode of transportation (are there options for hop on hop off between the two cities?), and any other advice. Ideas I have are Dachau, Neuschwanstein Castle, Regensburg

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 02:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It will take you between 4.5 and six hours to get from Munich to Zurich by train, depending on type of train and routing.

Dachau, Neuschwanstein and Regensburg are easily done as day trips from Munich, also by public transport.

After your time in Munich, you can head directly to Zurich.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 09:20 PM

Actually the direct Munich-Zurich trains make it in about 3.5 hours.
As mel notes, Dachau is an easy day trip from Munich with train about half an hour. No reservation, no admission fee.
Neuschwanstein Castle is a longer trek from Munich, takes up most of a day (9-10 hours or so.) A group tour via bus or train is a decent option, often includes a stop at Linderhof. We did the bus.
Have not been to Regensburg, it's on the list, but seems pretty easy via train from Munich.

If you are up for it you might could do all three in your two days in Munich but would not have a lot of down time. With a fairly early start in the AM, head to Dachau then from there to Regensburg via train in the afternoon, back to Munich for dinner/overnight then Neuschwanstein the next day. On day three jump on your train to Zurich
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 12:38 AM

Hi debrufner3261,

You could head from Munich to Garmisch or Mittenwald to spend 2 or 3 days in a German Alpine village. Then you could head to Zurich via Innsbruck along the Tyrolian Alps and Tyrolian villages, which is a prettier ride than on the more northern route.

It's easier and closer to see Füssen and Neuschwanstein from Garmisch than from Munich....

I live in Garmisch and head to Switzerland often, and that's the route I always choose, even though it takes longer than going up to Munich and then west.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Aug 24th, 2022 at 12:40 AM.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 06:07 PM

You can't go wrong, no matter what you decide to do. This is a great part of Europe. You don't say if you have time blocked out for seeing Munich. If not, that should be one of your three days.
Renting a car in Munich would let you go north one day and south the next. If you rent near the train station you could drop the car when you're done and catch the train to Zurich, without paying a car drop fee for out of country.
We like Nuremberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber is very close by. Don't know Regensburg.
In the south, the Fussen and Garmisch area has a lot to offer. Be advised that Neuschwanstein can be time consuming and Oberammergau is touristy.
Another alternative, by car or train, is Salzburg. (And Berchtesgaden if you go by car, but also time consuming to go to the Eagle's Nest.)
So, I recommend that you stay in Munich and pick your mode of transport. There's no hop-on, hop-off tour through here that I know of.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 06:13 PM

I'll jump in here and ask another question about Munich. If we are in Munich in mid-October, should we be concerned with the rationing of natural gas for heating? I was told Germany was about to set some rationing guidelines for hotels, public buildings, etc. because of the Russian gas pipeline being shut down or severely restricted in flow. One thing I remember was that hotels, etc. would not be providing hot water. Should that be a worry?
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 06:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bu67 View Post
I'll jump in here and ask another question about Munich. If we are in Munich in mid-October, should we be concerned with the rationing of natural gas for heating? I was told Germany was about to set some rationing guidelines for hotels, public buildings, etc. because of the Russian gas pipeline being shut down or severely restricted in flow. One thing I remember was that hotels, etc. would not be providing hot water. Should that be a worry?
No hot water? Yikes! I'm curious too as we've got a month long trip to Germany/Austria/Italy planned for December.

I think you'll get more responses over on Trip Advisor, as more Germans post there than on Fodor's.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 06:45 PM

At the end of our 3-week trip, we need to take the train from Munich airport to Zurich airport. Suggestions??
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 11:53 PM

I hear that most European countries have got gas reserves to last the winter and may be able to buy supply from other gas-producing countries such as Norway, but will have to outbid existing customers to get preferential supply. Apparently Germany's reserves are 89% full, enough to last a winter of 3 months. But I also heard there may be some rationing to help the situation along. A lot of countries such as Belgium are currently encouraging customers by subsidy to increase or install insulation, and everyone is rushing to do so by the winter. At the very least I would expect the higher energy prices to be passed on to the customer in terms of hotel bills.

Lavandula