Switzerland Experts: Help Us w/ Our Itinerary Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land in Geneva on 6/12---we WERE planning on going straight to Annecy for the next two nights...then to Switzerland. However, the Animation Festival is happening that weekend, so we have decided not to go go Annecy--it will be WAY too busy for our liking! (even the reservationist at the hotel we spoke to agreed)

So, we are thinking that we will land in Geneva and go straight to Montreux or Vevey for one night, possibly two; then head towards the Interlaken area for a couple of nights before we meet up with friends...

1. Montreux or Vevey--which do you prefer--what hotel for 200 CHF or less? I am thinking the Negociants. Any other suggestions in the area hotels, towns, etc?

2. Interlaken, Murren, Wengen---any ideas? I was thinking the Baren in Wengen--until a Swiss friend who lives in Bern says he can get us a great place/ great price in Interlaken because he has friends in the hotel business that he can get a good deal.

Many on Fodors do not seem to like Interlaken for a base--which is a concern.

Thank you for your help--I depend on Fodorites for the nitty-gritty details!
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM

We love the Bären. It is very moderate in price, especially considering that a really good dinner is included. (Things like lime-ginger risotto, and lovely fresh fish.) They also serve the best breakfasts we have had anywhere in Switzerland, with very fresh baked goods, including croissants, and two kinds of butter---one rustic and straight from the farm. And a little do-it-yourself egg boiler.

I would choose that over a good deal in Interlaken any day. Interlaken is not "in" the mountains; you can barely see them from there. It's a busy, bustling hub without any of the charm that you will find in Wengen (or Mürren). Those Swiss car-free villages are a real treat.

If price is a big issue, consider Chalet Fontana in Mürren. It is a B&B, run by a delightful Englishwoman. She has a ground-floor apartment that is also very cost-friendly; you can cook dinner "in" and save that way. The Co-op grocery is right across the "street". You won't have the views from there that you will from a balcony room at the Bären, however. That would be my first choice. (I can't wait to go back
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM

I second everything enzian said about the Baeren! I can't wait to go back either. I will be there in September.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Just remember that it is not a "full service" hotel. There is no lobby, and the reception is not staffed all the time. You may arrive to find a note and your key, with no one to greet you. But someone will be there around 5:00 to take you dinner reservation, and Frau Brunner will greet you warmly at dinner, every night.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Hi wren,

Sounds like a great trip!

For Lake Geneva, here are some of my thoughts --

Vevey is a residential town, with the old town right next to the lake and filled with shops, boutiques, grocers, antiques stores, etc. Most of the folks you see on the street will be residents going about their business.

Montreux is a resort town; its old town is on the hill away from the lake, and you rarely see visitors up there. Most of the action in Montreux takes place along the lakeside promenade, which stretches for about 10 km from Clarens through town, past Chillon, and all the way to Villeneuve. There are many more hotels in Montreux, and most of the folks you see will be visitors. Montreux has a Christmas market, if that is interesting to you.

I'm not sure that the towns will be all that different in December, though (aside from the Christmas market). In August, the difference is stunning, with Montreux' lakeside promenade almost as jammed as Grand Central Station. However, with all that, my favorite continues to be Montreux, mainly because of the lakeside promenade and also because I have some history there. But you should be fine in Vevey, and I've heard only good things about the Negociants.

As for the Berner Oberland, yes I am among those who prefer Wengen. Remember that Interlaken allows traffic, so it gets a lot of it. It's the major transport hub of the Jungfrau region, and it shows it. I really love the ambiance, peace, and quiet of car-free Wengen and think it's worth paying more for.

One note -- I hope you are taking the Golden Pass route from Montreux past Gstaad and Zweisimmen to get to the Jungfrau region. It's a longer trip, but it's very scenic. More info at

www.goldenpass.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM

ps,

Here are links to my "reviews" (w/photos) of my favorite activites based in Montreux:

Montreux old town
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...reux_Vaud.html

Lavaux

Promenade Fleuri

Morges
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rges_Vaud.html

Gruyeres
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Fribourg.html

Saanen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

Gstaad
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

s
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM

In December? Definitely head up to Wengen. Better chances of snow and sun. The views are much, much more scenic. On the other hand, if you want to explore the towns in the flat lands (Bern, Thun) and see Christmas Markets then Interlaken is *way* more convenient.

Btw, I actually like two areas in Interlaken: Unterseen and Interlaken-Ost around the former monastery.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
December is a funny time in the mountains. A lot of places close down at the end of September until right before Christmas. So far, there is not a lot of snow in the mountains as the weather has been mild. But that could change.

I do love both Murren and Wengen. In Wengen I have enjoyed my stay at the Alpenrose. In Murren we enjoyed both the Eiger and the Alpenruh - different price ranges but either is a safe bet. I'm not so keen on Interlaken, but it is convenient for a base and has its charms I suppose. Charm is relative here - most places are pretty charming - it's just that the mountain towns can be so stunning and picturesque.

Have a great trip!

gruezi
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

My apologies--I wrote the date in American style! 6/12 in the US is June 12th! I know Europeans would consider that December 12th--I should have written it out to avoid confusion!!

We will be in Switzerland from June 12 -19, then go to Alsace for a week, a couple of nights in Champagne, ending with 2 nights in Paris.

Does this new information change your opinions? Thanks so much for your input...It is a tremendous help!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Hi again,

Montreux is simply fabulous in June -- flowers blooming and all.

Still voting for Wengen. The tour busses start coming around at that time, so you have to get up to Wengen to escape 'em.

s
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Depends on what you're wanting to do while in the area. For hiking and mountain excursions by train/gondola go to Wengen. If you plan to do lake cruises, see Thun and Bern or maybe Ballenberg museum/Brienz then Interlaken is an option. But definitely avoid the very busy and noisy area between Hotel Victoria Jungfrau and train station Interlaken West.

Wengen will be relatively quiet in early June. If you're into more 'action' like bars, pubs, dancing, vast choice of restaurants etc. then Wengen is not the place for you.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Oops make that December 6th--I will eventually get this right!

Anyway--if we decide on Montreux, looking at hotels, I see almost "bipolar" reviews and nothing that catches my eye as the right place. Does anyone have a recommendation there?
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Hi wren,

I've spent about 11 trips to Montreux and have stayed in about four or five hotels there or walked past all of 'em. You said the Negociants was a consideration, and it's a good consideration. I'm not sure there's anything in Montreux at the same price point.

But I've heard good things about the Hotel Masson, in Territet (which is actually my favorite corner of the promenade). It's about a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute bus ride into town.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav--I remember seeing the Masson mentioned on Fodors--if we are only using public transportation, would the Masson be easily accessible?

I would not mind a bit of a splurge in Montreux, if it is worth it---of the hotels you have stayed in, is there one that was not too outrageously priced that you particularly liked?

ps--love your tripadvisor links! I see you live in Garmisch...beautiful!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I have stayed at the Masson and liked it a lot. Old world charm. The bus stop is only 200 m down on the main street. Buses run frequently (every ten minutes over the day I think). I didn't use the car once in a full week.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Funny! This is a good reminder to others about formatting the date. When you are writing to hotels in Europe for reservations, be sure to do it European-style, or they might expect you at a different time than you intend. I actually write out the month, rather than use numbers, to be clear.

Mid-June is a great time to go. The lifts will all be open (Männlichen lift up from Wengen to the ridge above opens the last weekend in May), but hotels won't have their "high season" prices on yet. Best of all, the wildflowers will be out. You might even see the Enzian:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-9868...to-enzian.html
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

We stayed in Interlaken near Interlaken Ost. It's very convenient for the trains up into the mountains as well as the boat on Lake Brienz.

Since we live near snowy mountains, being up inside the scenery wasn't quite so important for us. Plus my husband suffers from acrophobia.

Don't forget the lakes. Interlaken is between Lakes Brienz and Thun. We enjoyed a cruise on both of them, which was covered by our Swiss Pass. And a trip to the Swiss Open Air Museum, near the town of Brienz. The boat for Lake Thun leaves from Interlaken West.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Hi again,

If you chose the Masson, yes (as Ingo also notes), it is convenient by bus. I personally sometimes take a taxi to get to my hotel the first time with bags, but for your subsequent many trips into Montreux, the bus is great. You'll get a Riviera Card from your hotel, which includes free bus use.

I've just taken a look at some of the hotels I've stayed at, and holy cow inflation has struck hard. I was also working at the times I stayed at these hotels. These days, I probably would not pay these prices. But just fyi, here are the ones I know personally:

Hotel l'Ermitage, really a reknown restaurant with seven rooms above. It can be noisy in the summer when you have the windows open and folks are dining below you, until past midnight! Rates now are about 300 chf for two. http://www.ermitage-montreux.com/en/index.php

Hotel Victoria in Glion above Montreux, with really incredible views over the lake into France. Love the decor and the service here. Easy to get to by either funicular from Territet or train from Montreux. I've stayed here about four times. Doubles are 300-350 chf. http://www.victoria-glion.ch/index.php?lang=en

Eden Palace au Lac, right on the promenade and right in the center of town across from the Forum. I've stayed here twice just because of its fabulous location. Doubles are 250-350 chf. http://www.edenpalace.ch/en/index.html

Hotel Tralala waaaay up in the old town with no views of the lake at all. I stayed here for 10 days before its renovation when it was the Auberge des Planches -- it was clean and comfortable. Doubles are 120-220 chf. http://www.tralalahotel.ch/en/index-0-0.html

Hotels I haven't stayed at:

Golf Hotel right on the promenade in Territet. However, friends of mine stayed there and weren't treated well, and left early. 245 chf pp. http://www.golf-hotel-montreux.ch/

La Rouvenaz, a popular Italian restaurant in the center of town right across the street from the Tourist Info booth. This is another place with a few rooms above the restaurant. I couldn't find the prices on the website, but you may e-mail them and ask. http://www.rouvenaz.ch/bed-breakfast-montreux-en.html

One thing to note -- many times hotels will have special offers, either on their websites or at the central Montreux site at

www.montreux.ch

For instance, right now the Golf Hotel is offering 45% off hotel prices for November, and the Masson and the Eden Palace also have some specials. So keep your eyes open!

((Yes, I'm loving it here in Garmisch. People say I'm lucky. They don't know: my lifelong dream, my 10 years of waiting, my four years of planning, my one year of hard work, and my one year of stepping out in fear and trembling. But yes it is great and truly worth it!!!))

s
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Sorry, Golf Hotel is 145 pp, not 245.

s
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Everyone is so helpful! Thanks so much!

I think we will go with the Baren. Is there a particular view that we should request? We are from the Florida flatlands and we are really looking forward to the mountains!

I have contacted the Masson, but they are closed for now...

swandav2000--thank you for taking the time to link all those hotels. I will definitely check into the montreux website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -