Switzerland - Engadine accommodation?

Oct 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland - Engadine accommodation?

For our 4 nights stay in the Engadine area, we would like to stay in any of the following: Sils, Silvaplana, Pontresina, Celerina or Samedan. They all seem central enough, to let us explore both the Upper and Lower Engadines. Preferably, the hotel should be located within walking distance from the town center and/or other restaurants, in a quiet area.

We would like to get a room with a nice view (lake or mountain), balcony/terrace, satellite TV, good breakfast and under $250-300/night. And I guess I don’t need to mention ‘clean’. We do not need a gym, sauna or spa.

We are considering Hotel Albris in Pontresina, but would like to hear other recommendations, especially for a lake view hotel. I know this is a lot to ask, but this forum is so knowledgeable, I’m sure there are hotels in the area to meet our expectations. Thanks a lot.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Topping for Ingo (or anyone else willing to share some of their thoughts)
Thanks
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Hi,

of the villages you mentioned only Sils and Silvaplana have hotels with lake views.

Both are a little (really only a little) inconvenient to visit the Lower Engadine since they both have no train station. The bus will take you to St. Moritz railway station quickly, though.

Silvaplana is more for the sports/activity folks while Sils is the 'sophisticated' place. No problem if you don't fit into one or the other category, though

For Sils check out Hotel Randolina. It should be in your price range and many rooms offer gorgeous lake views. Not so sure about balcony/terrace.
www.randolina.ch
Please note: rates include rides on Upper Engadine cable cars/gondolas.

I am a bit reluctant about Hotel Albris. It is still a very good hotel, but when I visited last time (March this year) I saw they had renovated their restaurant and 'living room' in a very modern, 'cold' style. Didn't like it. Also, it is not very quiet - streets with through traffic nearby. Beside that, it's a ten minute walk from the railway station. I don't know if they provide free shuttle service. The bus station is next to it, though.

Depending on when you travel the four-star hotel Chesa Rosatsch in Celerina might be in your price range. www.rosatsch.ch
Again, not so sure about balcony. But it would be perfect for you. No lake view, but ask for mountain view (to the Inn river). It is quiet, close to restaurants, shops, train/bus stops etc.

These are the first two off the top of my mind. I can come up with more if you don't like them.

Ingo
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Ingo,

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful – and hope you enjoyed your vacation in the States. The info about Albris is great – we are not fans of the new, modern style, we prefer the traditional one. So if we have a choice, we would pick a different hotel. Hotel Chesa Rosatsch in Celerina sounds great, with a perfect location, I will email them.

I know this is going against the advice of a lot of people here – but we will have a car in Engadine, so Sils or Silvaplana would not be too inconvenient, considering the lack of a train station. I don’t think we fit in either the sporty or sophisticated category, but Hotel Randolina looks great, too – will email them too, and see which one still has any available rooms.

You commented a little on our plans for Engadine – if you have time, please elaborate and let me know what you think. Here’s the link to the other thread
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35077632

Thanks

Oct 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
GerdaFaust

I know the area well, and love this place, in Sils-Maria:

http://www.pensiunprivata.ch/index_nof.html

Check out the website.

Oct 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
GerdaFaust

sorry, this is the better link:

http://www.pensiunprivata.ch/sites/index_1.html

Oct 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

GerdaFaust,
Thanks a lot - hard to say from their web site, do they have a lake view? Can you comment on their breakfast, please?
Thanks
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
GerdaFaust

Our room did not have a lake view, and I do not recall if any do. However, you are about a 5" walk away from the lake, close to the center of town. The location could not be better.

All of the food was outstanding. I do not remember what, exactly, we had for breakfast every day, but it was one of the nicest places I've experienced in Switzerland. Check out tripadvisor or other review websites for other peoples' opinions.

Oct 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Yes, I enjoyed my trip to the States a lot! 3 weeks are a bit long for me, though, and I am glad to be back home now.

I'll have a look at your other thread, too.

Even if you have a car in the Engadine it is still a 15-20 minutes longer ride to the Lower Engadine than from Pontresina/Celerina. The views from Sils are worth it IMO!

Re: Pensiun Privata - it is a nice three star hotel right on the tiny market square. The rooms to the back are towards the (not very busy) street to Hotel Waldhaus and the Fex Valley - no view. The other rooms overlook the market square - no lake view. No balcony either, I am almost sure. Familiar atmosphere and good food.

Hotel Chesa Randolina is a 5 minutes or so walk outside Sils-Maria (in Sils-Baselgia) but I would prefer it because of the lake views. Make sure your room has one!

I.
Oct 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

GerdaFaust,
Thanks for the additional details – it is great to hear that location is good (not knowing the area makes choosing the hotel task difficult – you can get a great hotel in a not great location, or too far from the town, or in a noisy area, etc – you know what I mean). And it’s comforting to know that breakfast was good, too – actually, you said outstanding, that’s fantastic. For some reason, I can deal with a so-so lunch, but breakfast and dinner need to be good
Thanks again