Switzerland-Austria-Prague Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a 15 day trip to central Europe from 12/5-12/20 and I'd like to know what conditions will be like- I haven't taken a winter vacation there in 25 years. We've travelled there before (though not Prague) and I always tell her "You should see it at Christmas". Well, she's taken me up on it.

Is there snow on the ground by then (away from the Alps)?

We plan to fly in and out of Zurich, spend a day+ there and taking the train to Zermatt, spend another day, and board the Glacier Express (I know it's not much different than other Swiss trains, but the better half has it directly in her sights).

From St. Moritz the rest of the trip would be rental car, to Salzburg, a day at our favorite, Hallstadt, a couple days at Rothenburg and Nurnberg for Christmas markets, then to Prague (though it and the markets may get switched around).

From Prague, we either drive or fly to Zurich.

It's alot of travelling, but if we get behind, we can always leave out Prague. Driving will let us wander around, as we usually do, and avoid wrestling big suitcases on a train.

I recall winter driving's usually not a problem, but I've never been in the St. Moritz area, so I'm not sure. I assume I can get a rental car there??

We like nice hotels with a littel historic atmosphere (we've liked many of Kathy Brown's recommendations) and have some favorite in Austria and Germany. We do need some recommendations in these parts of Switzerland and Prague.

Practical suggestions, comments?
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave1027,

You may have trouble finding a room in Zermatt for just a night or two. During the season, many hotels only rent for a week; and many folks book up their next trip before they leave. I've heard that some hotels in Zermatt are already full for Dec 08 -- or are waiting to hear from their return customers before taking new bookings.

Good luck!

s