Swiss travel pass help

Search

Swiss travel pass help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss travel pass help

We will be in the Bernese Oberland for only two full days (and we will have a car). We do want to go up into the mountains but was wondering if it was worth it to buy some type of travel pass for only 2 days? It looks like the half fare card would be the cheapest, even though you only use it for 2 days not the month but looks like that doesn't include cable cars. Should we just book full fare on the SBB app for the two days we will be going into the mountains (which seems very expensive)? I know people say travelling in Switzerland is easy by train but it sure looks confusing from my end. Thanks for any assistance
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you'd have to list/price the specific train rides you're contemplating and compare total to cost of passes.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 10:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Half Fare Card does cover cable cars, including the Jungfrau, which is the big ticket item in the area.

The Swiss Pass only gives a 25% discount on the Jungfrau.

Add up the full fare price of the excursions you plan to take, including all train/bus transport. If it totals more than 240 chf per person, you've already paid for the half fare card - the break even point is 240 chf, the rest is gravy. If your excursions total less than 240 chf each, the Half Fare Card will be of no use.

Keep in mind that the price you see on SBB defaults to Half Fare, as most residents have one. Make sure you're looking at the full fare price when you crunch the numbers.

Switzerland passes can be very confusing, but the Half Fare Card is as straightforward as it gets.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/preise-und-prospekte/

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 18th, 2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sberg
I know people say travelling in Switzerland is easy by train but it sure looks confusing from my end. Thanks for any assistance
Traveling by train in Switzerland is really easy. Tickets don’t sell out and (except for low-cost advance fares on some connections) aren’t specific to individual trains, ( the ticketing/booking system is integrated with local public transport, buses, ferries, some cable cars and more, and trains are frequent, punctual, reliable, comfortable enough, and well equipped (toilets, food service in some trains, heating and AC generally).

It is generally quite expensive, and there are passes and travel cards that add a lot of options but can make it confusing to figure out what’s cheapest for you, and not all public transport is covered by the same tickets because some rack railways and cable cars have their own fares. But it’s still a very easy way to travel, and you can always just buy full price tickets on the spot.

Personally, for two days I’d probably buy Saver Day Passes (includes nearly all public transport nationally, from 52 francs per day, becoming more expensive the later you buy it) from SBB and pay out of pocket for whatever is not fully included in it. But do the maths if you want to really figure out what’s cheapest for you.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I did see that there is a Jungfrau travel pass (which is probably all we would need as we will only have 2 1/2 days)but it is hard to determine if there is an official site to sell it? There are many and they all look legit. Is this the site to buy from https://www.swissactivities.com/en-c...3-to-8-days/#1 . I looked at the Saver Day passes but not really sure what they include?
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:53 AM

This is the official site:

https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/jungfrau-travel-pass/

The Saver Day pass does not include trips to the Jungfrau, etc.

Must knows about the Saver Day Pass

• Unlimited traveling throughout Switzerland for one day.
  • No tickets required for trains, buses and boats.
  • No discounts on trips to mountain tops.
  • No museum entrance included.
  • Buy well in advance for the best price.
  • The pass is not refundable.

https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass

Have you added up the cost of what you want to do? That's the best place to start, then go from there to see if a pass will even save you anything.

I'd be happy to help you look those up, if you'd tell me what you plan to do.

What time of year do you plan to visit? With mountain tops, it's best not to book anything until you see what the weather will be like, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 19th, 2023 at 04:56 AM.
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the offer to help. I'm usually not too bad at figuring apps out but the SBB app has me puzzled at the moment. As we will only be there 2 full days may make more sense to just pay full fare for the tickets?

We want to do two hikes. We do have a car so we can drive to certain starting points if that helps. I know we want to hike the Eiger trail which leaves from Eigergletscher.

The other place we want to go is Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg to do the Panorama Trail.

We aren't the type of traveller who run from place to place. We like to enjoy where we are and just take in the view.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

We will be there the second week of September, 2023
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 05:38 AM

To reach the Mannlichen:

Wengen can be reached by train from Lauterbrunnen. If you arrive by car, you'll have to park in Lauterbrunnen and change to the train.

Cost of train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen (point-to-point, full fare) - 6.80 chf per person - one way

From the railway station of Wengen, it’s a 5-minute walk to the cable car valley station, which is called 'Wengen, Wengiboden'.

A large cable car with an open roof, accessible in summer months with an additional 'Royal Ride' ticket, brings you up to Männlichen. It's a steep 6-minute ride.

Wengen to Mannlichen - point-to-point ticket, 26 chf per person (standard fare) - one way

Option 2: gondola from Grindelwald Terminal to Männlichen

The gondolas leave from Grindelwald Terminal. This rail station is located outside of the village of Grindelwald and can be reached by car and by public transportation. There are direct train connections between Interlaken Ost and the terminal, plus frequent train and bus connections between Grindelwald and the terminal. A car park is available.

Comfortable 10-passenger gondolas transport you to Männlichen in a gentle 20-minute ride.

Cost - 32 chf, but look at this list as there are several other options

file:///D:/Downloads/preise_ggm_sommer_2023.pdf

The walk ends in Kleine Scheidegg, so from there you can return to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen via train - cost 35.80 chf per person, full fare

Eiger Trail -

To do this hike, you will take a train to Eigergletscher station, the starting point of this hike. Then, at the end of the hike, take a second train from Alpiglen to your starting point in the Bernese Oberland.

So if you leave your car in Lauterbrunnen you can take the train from there to Eigergletscher station via Kleine Scheidegg - 41.80 chf each, full fare

Then on the return, train from Alpiglen to Lauterbrunnen - 49.80 chf per person, full fare

So, assuming my math is correct and you opt to take the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Mannlichen panorama walk then return to Lauterbrunnen from Kleine Scheidegg route and then take the Eiger hike on another day, your total cost for both days at full fare is 160.20 chf per person.

However, if you plan to combine both hikes into the same day you'll save quite a bit of money (I didn't look into the logistics of combining the two).

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 21st, 2023 at 05:48 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 07:32 AM

AS you come by car, you could visit panoramic places reachable by car, like Grimsel Pass, Steingletscher - Sustenpass,
or - through the Loetschbrg tunnel (car shuttle trains) - Fafleralp/Loetschental, Thyon 2000.........
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8, thank you so much!!! I think we may try to do both hikes in one day if I can figure out the logistics ( and hopefully the weather will cooperate). Now I will try to see if there is any advantage to buy one of the passes ( seems doubtful as we will only use them 2 days). Thank you too for the advice on not buying anything until we get there as we have no idea what the weather will be like.

Neckervd, I will look into the places you mentioned getting to by car. Thank you, I really appreciate it!
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 10:43 AM

If you only use the cable cars and rack railways on one day, then yes, the Jungfrau pass won't make financial sense and you'll stick with individual tickets. You could buy an SBB saver day pass, which entitles you to a discount on the cable cars and railways, but you'd have to check to see if it saves you money, and you'd have to buy it long in advance committing to one specific day.
I originally suggested the saver day pass because I thought you'd also want to go also to Muerren (the cable car + railway from Lauterbrunnen and the cable car from Stechelberg via Gimmewald are included) and/or maybe on a lake cruise from Interlaken, but if you're only going between Wengen and Grindelwald then the SBB pass wouldn't cover you fully, and at that point buying it it will net you a modest saving at best.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

mbrevitas, thank you for the information. We really aren't sure if we will be using trains and cable cars one or two days depending on the weather. I think we will probably wait until we arrive to make the call on buying passes or not. If we get two gorgeous weather days and decide we want to see more we may spring for a pass. I have a little better understanding of how they work now, but there are so many choices and it is so confusing!!!