Swiss train question - IC vs ICE for Basel to Thun

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling from Basel to Thun in about a month. There are several options and one of them is on an ICE train while the other is an IC train. I've been having a hard time finding the difference...if there is any. Can someone tell me what the difference is?
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
J62

ICE is generally a higher speed train, but on this route it doesn't make any difference.

It's a 90min train ride. Just pick the time that's most convenient to you.
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM

ICE is a glamourous German high-speed train on its way to Germany. See photos at www.seat61.com/ice.htm

The IC will be a normal Swiss domestic intercity train, rather less glamorous, but still fine.

Within Switzerland, the ICE fits into the normal hourly service pattern as if it was a normal Swiss IC, and there's thus no difference in pricing, normal Swiss fares apply. It's just the quality of the train that differs!

So pick any departure that suits you, though the ICE has the nicer interior!
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM

I have to disagree slightly with Main seat 61. Yes, on some IC trains, they're nothing special. But some of them are the newer, doubledecker IC trains and we like them better than the ICE, especially when we're traveling first class on the upper deck with its better view. And IMO, the interior in the first class double decker ICs is just as nice - we find the seats are definitely more comfortable.
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We'll probably go with the IC train since it doesn't have a train change whereas the ICE requires one transfer.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM

I agree with FoFoBT - some of the newer Swiss domestic IC trains are every bit as spiffy IMO as the German ICE - but for all practical purposes I would just hop whatever train suited my time frame. For loads of great info on Swiss trains (and Swiss Passes which if traveling much at all in Switzerland can be great deals as they cover not only trains but lake boats, postal buses and city trams and buses and also give free entry to over 400 Swiss museums.) anyway check out www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com (Man in Seat 61 who posted above - his commercial site) and www.ricksteves.com.