Booking train travel in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to travel between Lugano and Zurich on a specific day - actually on one of two specific trains. One is an intercity (IC); the other is an EC. When I go online to the SBB site, they don't seem to let me book more than one month in advance - is this usual? (I know I could, in theory, just show up at the station on the given day, BUT I have a plane connection to make and don't want to lie awake the night before worrying,)

I booked a Zurich-Milan train reservation online without problem for the start of my trip - and printed out the tickets. Perhaps this last leg is different because all my travel is within Swiss borders?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:35 PM

There is no need to book trains in Switzerland, the exceptions are the Panoramic trains glacier Express and Bernina Express. Trains do not sell out and unless you can find a "Super Saver"fare on the Swiss Rail website you just go to t he station and buy your ticket then get on the train.

The Super Saver fares are available I think about one month before travel, but not for all routes. They do mean that you are limited to that specific train you have a ticket for.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Yes do not worry about getting on trains -IME very few seats on Swiss trains are reserved- just buy your ticket before the train unless you can get one of the realtively infrequent discounted Super Saver fares from www.sbb.ch. Especially if service charges are encountered for online purchase.

For lots on Swiss trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

What are your total train trips in Switzerland? If more than a few look into a Swiss Pass that lets you hop on virtually any regular Swiss train. Or things like the Half-Fare Card that gives 50% off all transports.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've been visiting Switzerland for years and have never once booked a train. It's just not necessary. I fail to see how booking a specific train will alleviate any of your worries regarding catching your plane??? Just arrive in plenty of time to board, and allow extra time if you need to purchase a ticket.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - will keep an eye out for Supersaver fares. (Got a great fare from Zurich to Milan; this was available 2 months+ in advance.)
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Be aware that it's much easier to get a supersaver ticket to Zurich main station than to Zurich airport. Therefore it could make sense to buy just 2 tickets. The second one can be bought at any ticket machine.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 06:25 AM

... or try to find a supersaver ticket to Winterthur and compare the prices
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 06:27 AM

... and the IC will run in time, whereas the EC comes from Milan