Swiss Tour 10 days

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Tour 10 days

Dear all
i am planning for a tour with my wife to Swiss in early March. i have come up with an itinerary.

Day 1 Fly to Zurich.
Overnight at Zurich

Day 2 Bermina Express
Travel from Zurich to Chur (1.15hrs)
Chur to Tirano to St .Moritz - Bermina Express (8.58 -13.12 - 18.27)
Overnight at St. Moritz

Day 3 St. Moritz

Day 4 Glacier Express
Travel From St. Moritz to Zermatt (9.02 - 16.52)
Overnight at Zermatt

Day 5 & 6 Zermatt
Visit Gorners Gorge

Day 7 Zermatt to Lausanne or Montreux or Gruyeres
Excursion to Lavoux vineyard
Excursion to Castle Chillon

Day 8 Lasuanne or Montreux
Excursion to Gruyeres and Broc

Day 9 Lausanne(Montreux) - Bern - Zurich
Day trip to Bern. Then to Zurich

Day 10 Fly Back from Zurich

Can you pls suggest if it is better to spend two days in St. moritz or Zermatt. (2d in st.moritz + 1d in Zermatt) or (2d in Zermatt + 1 d in St. Moritz)
I am interested in picturesque locations and activities like hiking but definitely no skiing. I went throught their official websites but thought your suggestions would be more useful.

If i have to travel only part of the Bernina express which part of it is the most scenic from St. moritz?

Is there a possibility to hike near the viaducts (and take photographs) during March? I may take the Bermina Express until there, hike and return from there by regular trains. i checked out the rhb website for this but could not figure out any.

Is there any other place i am missing in this route which can be fitted in the itinerary if i have one more day.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd never heard of Gornergorge, so I looked it up. Apparently, it's only open between June and mid October.

Not sure what viaducts you're referring to, but hiking in March can be iffy. There are many groomed winter walking tracks though. I'm a winter hiker myself and I can give you a few suggestions for winter hiking around Zermatt if you're interested.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq8. ya just learned that it is closed during my visit. So bad.......

I am definitely interested in winter hiking around zermatt. I want the hike to be picturesque. Pls suggest.

i am talking about the landwasser viaduct along the bernina express route. pls help.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't help you with the viaduct, but here are a few winter walking options in Zermatt, combined with gondolas and cable cars:

1) Take the train to Gornergrat station, detrain at Riffelalp and take the 10 minute walk to the resort, located at an elevation of 7,290 feet, directly facing the Matterhorn. Backtrack and continue on the train to Rotenboden, where you can rent sleds or watch the skiers if interested. Continue on the train up to Gornergrat, spend some time soaking up the wonderful views, maybe have lunch, then return to Rotenboden. Detrain there and take the groomed wanderweg back down to Riffelberg. This is a lovely walk that takes less than an hour, under two miles. From Riffelberg take the train back to Zermatt.

2) Take the funicular to Sunnegga and walk the wanderweg to Tuftern (make sure its open before you go up). This is a gorgeous trail which leads through forest alongside a ridge with expansive views of the Matterhorn. There's a small kiosk selling food and drinks at Tuftern. Backtrack to Sunnegga (two miles, easy). Take the cable car to Blauherd and walk the groomed wanderweg to Fluhalp (all uphill, located on Rotthorn Mountain surrounded by the ski runsof Rothorn Paradise). There's a restaurant at Fluhalp. Backtrack back to Blauherd (four miles round trip) and take the cable car back to Sunnegga and the funicular back to Zermatt.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Melnq. i would definitely do the hike.